Asymmetrical Eyelids - 1 Year After Blepharoplasty; Options? (photo)

I've had upper blepharoplasty a year ago.My left eyelid incision was above natural crease.A surgeon measured my left eyelid 12mm over the crease and 8mm under the crease and exactly the opposite on the right one!Is there any chance to create new eyelid crease on my left eye(make it lower)?My surgeon suggests not to do anything with the left because there is not enough skin.Instead,she suggested to remove fat from the right eyelid to make my eyes more symmetrical.

Asymmetry Options

+1

A thorough consultation including a physical examination to determine the optimal revision surgery would be necesary.  Consult with 2 - 3 surgeons in the area beyond the original surgeon to understand fully your options. Do not discount the opinion and skills or your original surgeon as there were reasons why you chose him/her. Plus, he/she has a vested interest in ensuring your happiness.

Surgery Advice for Asymmetrical Eyelids

+1

As a cosmetic oculofacial plastic & reconstructive surgeon, I stress to my prospective patients that there is an art to performing blepharoplasty so the eyes appear natural, balanced and not have obvious signs of being operated on. Many eyelid surgery patients come to my practice in Manhattan for "revisional surgery" after being dissatisfied with results from other surgeons.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Your surgeon is not correct.

+1

Bobby

I recommend a personal assessment by an experienced oculoplastic surgeon.  If your summary accurately represents your surgeon's view of the situation, she is barking up the wrong tree!.  It is not unusual to see post-surgical crease height asymmetry.  This generally relates to the handedness of the surgeon with right handed surgeons making a slightly less idea incision on the left side.  Fortunately, this slight difference is well hidden under your eyelid folds and is not the basis for your issue.  No, you issue is that you have upper eyelid ptosis with dominance of the left eye.  You are lifting the left eyebrow to compensate for this.  Small degrees of ptosis can be dealt with by posterior ptosis provided you are a candidate for this procedure (which is assessed during a pre-operative consultation).  Judging from the photographs, you will need bilateral ptosis surgery.  To find an appropriately trained surgeon, the American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a geographic directory on their website that will help you find a great surgeon in your area (asoprs dot org).

Would recommend to leave it alone

+1

You asymmetry is due to the right brow position and eye lid surgery will not help. You would need brow lift to have symmetry,but I would not recommend surgery.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Your surgeon may be right

+1

It is hard without examining you to determine whether you have enough skin to remove more or not. You cannot lower the crease on the left side without removing additional skin, so if your surgeon doesn't feel comfortable in removing more skin, don't push him/her into it. You may end up trading a mild cosmetic asymmetry for a debilitating functional problem: dry eyes from eyelid that doesn't close well.

You may want to get a second opinion from an Oculoplastic Surgeon. You can find a well trained one at ASOPRS dot org

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon