Asymmetrical Depression of Nasal Ala from Side Sleeping After Rhinoplasty - What Can I Do?

I had rhinoplasty 2 wks ago and for the past 2 days, I have been waking up with my cheek and nose compressed due to side sleeping. I noticed today an asymmetrical depression of the nasal ala on that side. Should I be concerned that this is permanent? Is side sleeping known to cause such a cosmetic complication?

Nasal Ala Assymetry from Sleeping on One Side

+1

I agree it is highly improbable you have caused permanent deformity to your nasal ala.  I recommend waiting at least six months to asses the final result. In most cosmetic surgery cases, time is your friend!

Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical Nasal Tip 2 Weeks Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Although possible, it is unlikely you caused any permanent chages in your nasal tip by sleeping on your side. Consult with your rhinoplasty surgeon.

Nasal depressions

+1

It is hard to say if anything at all happened from lying on your side. I would say probably not, but if you are concerned then I would speak to or see your doctor.

Nasal Depression from Sleeping on Your Side?

+1

With any rhinoplasty procedure, you must be patient to see your final result.  Small changes that may be apparent now may or may not be visible several months from now.  Patience is truly a virtue here.  There are possibilities that a cartilage graft, if placed, could have broken, there is a collapse from a resection of cartilage and is now resulting in a depression - or it could be related to differential swelling and will completely resolve on its own.  Sleeping shouldn't be a major issue except for swelling following gravity.  Be patient and the solution will become more evident in the near future.

Best of luck.

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

Sleeping on nose after rhinoplasty.

+1

This will not cause a permanent problem, it is only the swelling which is denting and not the nose. Put pillows on either side of your head to prevent sleeping on it.

Rhinoplasty - sleeping on it

+1

At 2 weeks, you are far from being healed and there is always a possibility you could have moved something in your nose with pressure.   Also, did you have surgery on your nasal ala?

However, I would recommend you speak to your rhinoplasty surgeon about your concerns. I'm sure he/she would be happy to talk to you to answer you questions.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Web reference: http://www.makeyouperfect.com