Asymmetrical Breasts. What Do You Recommend? (photo)

Hi, I am 20-years-old. I'm going into my first consultation with a plastic surgeon this Tuesday for my asymmetry. But I want some initial thoughts of what can be done. Although I want symmetry in both breasts, I want to know if it's possible to maintain the shape of my breasts. While I personally would want to augment my smaller breast I'm more worried that through the augmentation I will have a significant difference in breast shapes. Any thoughts are welcomed. Thank you in advance.

You only need Breast Augmentation with different sized implants for your asymmetry

+3

thank you for your question.  Your very fortunate that your breast shape is symmetrical even though there is a size asymmetry.

A simple breast augmentation with a larger implant on the right side smaller on the left side should correct your asymmetry and maintain the beautiful normal shape of your breasts.

be sure to consult 2 board-certified plastic surgeons so that you have adequate information to make an informed decision.

Correcting Asymmetrical Breasts

+2

Dear Kaori05,

Thank you for sharing your photograph.

It seems like you could benefit from submuscular implants in both breasts with the smaller implant in the larger breast and the larger implant in the smaller.

After consultations, the surgeons will be able to help you make a well informed decision.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Correction of breast asymmetry

+2

I think that your best option is to have breast augmentation of both breasts with a larger implant being used for the right side. The implant pocket on the right side will need to be just slightly more aggressive with minimal lowering of the IMF. You need to understand that there will always be slight asymmetries with your breasts, but your size differences should be correctable. I personally do not like the idea of having a breast implant on one side alone and advice to do so is short sighted. You want to look as symmetric as possible for as long as possible and augmented tissue does not age the same as non-augmented tissue. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

+2

Your breasts are asymmetric in terms of size, shape and position on the chest. The right side upper edge is lower then the left side upper edge and the right inframammary fold is higher than the left. The right side is not just a smaller version of the left. Some of these asymmetries may be magnified i.e. become more visible if you just increase the size of right breast with an implant. Also with an implant on only one side the 2 breasts cannot look and feel the same.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Volume is only One Part of the Equation

+2

Your breasts are never going to be mirror images of each other.In addition to the volume asymetry, there are differences in the position of the breasts on the chest wall, the skin envelope of the breasts, and the size of the areola.If you are happy with the size of the left breast an implant can be placed on the right side alone to make the breast volume more symetrical. If you want to make both breasts larger implants can be placed on both sides. Just remember they will never be exactly the same, but closer. 

James C. Pietraszek, MD

Breast asymmetry

+2

The best way to get a match is to augment both breasts.  It is inadvisable to augment only one.  You will never be perfectly matched but you can get closer.  The overall shape of your breasts should be the same unless you choose implants that do  not fit your frame. 

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Correction of breast asymmetry

+2

Are you happy with the size of the LEFT side?  If so, as noted in the other answers, an implant on the RIGHT alone would be sufficient.  If, however, you want both breasts not only larger but also symmetric, an implant on the LEFT and a larger implant on the RIGHT would not be unreasonable either.  I too would recommend implant placement submuscularly. You have nice breast shape otherwise, so you do not need a lift.  Best of luck to you.

James E. Chappell, MD

Breast asymmetry, what would you do

+2

Breast asymmetry is very common, and otherwise your breasts have a very nice shape. An implant on the smaller side is a good option if you like the volume on the larger, however the texture and feel of the breast might be better if you considered an implant on both sides. A well positioned implant will expand the nipple and push down the fold and lower pole on the smaller breast. Don't be afraid of submuscular saline implant, the result should be just fine.

Correcting asymmetric breasts

+2

You have a mild asymmetry and well-shaped breasts.

Your choices are to augment one side in an attempt to match the size, or asymmetrically augment both sides - this would give you more volume and would hopefully even out the size mismatch.  It is truly a decision you'd have to make with your surgeon based on which of those options are right for you.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Hall

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS