Asymmetrical Breasts 11 Months Post Breast Implant Revision, Why Is This Happening? (photos)

I had my mastopexy w/implant surgery in November of 2011. After a few months I noticed that my right breast was not as full as my left. I had a revision surgery in April of 2012 to lift the implant back into place and had internal stitches placed to hold it. Then after two months, my right breast again was not as full. It's as if my implant is dropping more significantly off to the side. My upper breast seems very flat, while my left breast is very full. Help!! Why is this happening to me?

Asymmetry

+1

Hi Aberjean,

Based on your pictures and history one of two things may be going on.  Either your right implant pocket keeps opening laterally, or you just have more fullness in the upper pole of your left breast.  If the former is the case, then the right pocket has to be closed effectively.  This is called a capsullorrhaphy.  Often, the muscle on that side has to weakened somewhat to keep from pushing the implant laterally.  If the latter is the case, then fat transfer to the upper pole of the right breast will help.  Keep in mind though that everyone has some degree of asymmetry and it is impossible to make you or anyone else perfectly symmetric.

Good Luck,

Ary Krau MD FACS

Breast asymmetry

+1

It looks like the incisions and areola are pretty symmetric but you have some upper pole flatness.  Perhaps you just need a larger implant on the smaller side to better approximate the volume difference?

+1

Thanks for the question and posting photos. I am not sure if you are unhappy with the appearance or just the upper pole flatness/slight asymmetry? If just the upper pole issue than consider fat grafting. If both than a revision would be indicated 

Asymmetric Breasts after Breast Implants and Lift

+1

Recurrent ptosis, assuming a near perfect execution of the first augmentation and lift, is the likely result of extremely lax tissue.  Continuing to operate in this situation may not be the best option.   Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentation revisions and breast lifts each year.  Kenneth hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Asymmetry after augmentation-mastopexy

+1

Thanks for the pics & questions.  Are you implants on top of the muscle and have you had massive weight loss?  Also, are your implants smooth saline?  Massive weight loss patients frequently experience deflationary changes, which result in both tissue excess as well as poor tissue quality, which has a high tendency to relapse, even after placement of implants as well as breast lifts.  That being said, discuss your aesthetic ideals with your PS and jointly formulate plan "b", which could involve any of the following: i. conversion to subpectoral plane; ii. use of ADM (Strattice) to create internal support more effectively than suture capsulorrhaphy; iii. conversion to higher profile silicone gel implants; iv. revision of the mastopexy, so your implant and breast skin will maintain a "hand in glove" fit.  While perfect symmetry is rarely feasible and breasts are never "identical twins", ask your PS whether your symmetry could be improved. Good luck :)

Lavinia Chong, MD

Breast Augmentation Revision

+1

I would wait 6 months after your surgery and then carefully consult with several board-certified plastic surgeons.  This could be related to prior capsular contracture or scar tissue, or could be overdissection at prior surgery.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon