Asymmetric Swelling After Cheek Liposuction

It has been over 3 weeks since I had liposuction performed on my cheeks. From the start I had asymmetric swelling. The swelling has slowly been subsiding. I don't feel comfortable being seen in public but I understand the healing process can be slow. I am just worried because one side of the face is still very noticeably and tangibly more swollen than the other side. I expected both sides to reach more of an equilibrium by now. Should I be worried? If I continue to see this unevenness by my fourth week I will surely become frantic!

Swelling differently on the cheeks after liposuction

+1

There can be more swelling on one side, and this can be temporary and caused by more passes of the cannula  needed on that side to remove the fat, a seroma, a hematoma, or even a coincidental dental problem.  Do followup with your surgeon to get the best answer and to be reassured.

Liposuction

+1
Your asymmetric swelling could be the result of a hematoma. If that is the case it should resolve slowly

David L. Abramson, MD

Cheek swelling

+1
Most likely explanation for your problem is a small bleed. It will take some time for your body to reabsorb the coagulated blood. It is also possible there is more fat left on one side compared to another. Sincerely, Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

+1

Your issue maybe due to bleeding more on one side. I recommend ultrasound external therapy and more time. 

Asymmetry 3 weeks after cheek liposuction does not sound good.

+1

Hi.

I don't know what's wrong, but I hope you are seeing your surgeon frequently.  You could have a hematoma on the larger side, or perhaps more fat was removed from one side than on the other.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Cheek Liposuction Swelling

+1

When it comes to cheek swelling after liposuction or buccal lipectomy, you need to be prepared that it is going to take much longer than a month to see the final results. Persistent asymmetry at 3 or 4 weeks after surgery is not uncommon and is too early to judge whether it will be persistent. Set your sights on 3 months after surgery as the time to do a critical assessment and not before.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD