I Have an Asymmetric Smile. Do You Think This is Caused by my Lip Shape or Gum (photo)?

I have an asymmetrical smile. Would you reccomend to treatment to fix my lips, gums or both. I have heard that botox, cosmetic lip tattoos and gum fillers are options to fix an asymmetrical smile. I have already had braces. Which would you reccomend? Thanks

Asymmetrical Smile Correction

+2

From your photo it looks as though the cause of your asymmetry is due to more pull on the lip from a muscle in the left upper lip area; however, as others have mentioned, this would need to be confirmed by seeing how your lips look at rest (no expression).  If the asymmetry is due to a smile, this can be corrected easily by a small drop of Botox in my experience.  Results usually need to be repeated every 2-3 months to maintain the result.

Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Correcting lip asymmetry

+2

The proper treatment depends on whether your asymmetry is present only when you smile, or is there all the time.

For one that is there constantly, permanent solutions are available - I would recommend against a synthetic implant since you are young and these have a tendency to work their way out over time.  

If your asymmetry is only present on smiling, muscle rebalancing should be able to correct this.

A consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the only way to determine which option is the best one for you.

Hops this helps,

Dr. Hall

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

NO implants or tattoo for asymmetric smile

+2

Thank you for your question and photo. If your lips are symmetric when you are not smiling and your left upper lip pulls up more than the right when you do smile, it is due to an asymmetric pull of the muscle. DO NOT get a lip implant or tattoo for this problem; they will not help and will likely make it worse. Although an exam would be necessary to give you the best recommendation, I believe that a small amount of Botox in the muscle that is pulling up your left upper lip is probably your best answer.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric Lip

+1

The options you mention are alternatives to fixing an asymmetrical smile.  The best option will be determined by the cause of this asymmetry, whether it is a lack of tissue, a muscle issue, a nerve issue, etc. Although a consultation is warranted to determine which would be the best option for you, if there is actually less upper lip tissue on one side, a custom lip implant will probably give you the best result as it will be the most permanent (but reversible if needed) solution.

Kimberly Lee, MD