Asymmetric Nostril Rims After Rhinoplasty

I had an open septorhinoplasty 5 weeks ago. My nostril rims(which were symmetrical before surgery) are now 2 completely different shapes. It is very notice from front and profile views. My septum was deviated and the surgeon straightened it. Is this what has caused my nostril rims to look asymmetrical? Will I need a revision to correct this?

Nostril shape is the last things to settle after rhinoplasty

+1

Nostrils can appear misshapen after rhinoplasty just due to swelling, but sometimes asymmetries occur due to how the tip cartilages were shaped and whether grafts were placed along the rims.  I caution my patients that nostril shape is the last thing to settle after rhinoplasty, since the shape is very sensitive to small changes in the surrounding skin and soft tissues.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your rhinoplasty surgeon so he can decide with you whether what you are seeing is due to swelling or a more permanent problem that may require a revision.  Hope that helps! Minas Constantinides, MD.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after a rihinoplasty

+1

You are still very early after your surgery and it is too early to judge your final result.  Swelling is not always symmetric.  Given time your shape will change. 

+1

At 5 weeks, you could have residual swelling that is altering the appearance.  I would give yourself a few more months before determining whether a revision is necessary.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Nostril asymmetry can be due to swelling

+1

Thank you for the question.  Nostril asymmetry can permanent or temporary.  At 5 weeks after your rhinoplasty swelling is still present and if it is the source of your nostril asymmetry it will improve with time on its own.  I would definitely give it more time to assess the final result.  A few more months down the road will allow you and your plastic surgeon to start evaluating your final result..

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD