Asymmetric Nasal Tip 8 Months Post-Op Permanent? (photo)

I had my first rhinoplasty 8 months ago, and my nose is becoming more swollen over time rather than visa versa. My original nose was significantly deviated and asymmetric, and one-week following the procedure, I was very happy with the results - my nose was straight/tip was very refined. However, from one month post-op until now my nose has become asymmetric again (left side far more "round" than the right, and can feel a "bump" almost). Is this permanent, or excess swelling because of thick skin?

Asymmetric Nasal Tip 8 Months Post-Op Permanent?

+2

Dear m8578,

thank you for your question and photo. It is difficult to see any asymmetry in this photo, however I do see some swelling around the tip.  It is common to have waxing and waning swelling over the first year or so after surgery.  Can be related to vigorous exercise, salt intake, increased blood pressure to your face such as having your head bent forward and down, or sleeping on your face.  These effect will eventually go away.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

Greetings, is very difficult to make an assessment of your case with the picture you have presented, since we can not  see the nose within the framework of the face, the ideal would be a picture that covers from the forehead to the chin, but I must tell you  that the final results in a rhinoplasty should be evaluated after one year since inflammatory processes in this anatomical area are durable, especially at the nasal tip and columella

Jose Luis Acosta Collado, MD

Deviation of cartilage

+1

Thank you for the question.  At 8 months after surgery swelling is less a factor but some swelling can still be present.  The change that you have seen around month one after your procedure is most likely related to healing of the cartilage.  Cartilage is relatively soft and the healing process creates collagen (scar tissue) which tends to pull on the cartilage and may lead to a change in its shape/position.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Asymmetric nasal tip

+1

It does look like you have thicker skin. When the bandages are removed at 1 week, the tip and bridge of the nose can appear more refined because the bandages diminish the swelling. However, as time goes on swelling can return to the tip and this can take months to even more than one year for it all to go away, especially if you have thick skin. It would be helpful to see your pre-op and 1 week post-op pictures to compare. I would speak to your rhinoplasty surgeon. There may be other options to diminish the tip swelling if there is indeed swelling present (ex. steroid injection). Your surgeon would know best.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Biased lighting makes assessment of tip asymmetry impossible.

+1

The photograph demonstrates illumination of the nose preferentially on the right side. It is impossible to comment on asymmetry because of this.