Asymmetric Breasts, Different Breast Diameter, Different Profile Implants?

I had a breast lump(benign) removed over 15 years ago leaving me a little asymmetric. After breastfeeding I now am worse. Mainly volume, not shape. Dr said I do not require a lift. My rt breast is 13.1cm and my left breast 13.5cm. He suggested 400cc mod+ on the rt, 320cc mod left(silicone). If I went to 375cc mod+ rt and 300cc mod left(12.8cm), would that be too small? I'm 5"6 165 lbs, fit, size 12. Also is it typical to use two different profiles?

Breast asymmetry and augmentation

+2

In patients who have volume asymmetries, it is very common to place two different silicone gel implants to compensate for the underlying asymmetry as best as possible.  In terms of size selection, I help my patients select the correct size with two methods:

1. Dimensional planning and
2. A Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Best Breast Implant Size/Profile for Me?

+2

It is not possible to give you precise advice regarding the best breast implant size/profile for you.   As your plastic surgeon has suggested, it may be necessary to use different sizes and/or profiles to improve symmetry as much as possible.  It will be important for you to understand that absolute symmetry will likely not be achieved despite best efforts.

I would suggest that you communicate your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This  communication will be critical in determining which breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Breast asymmetry

+1

Asymmetry of the two breasts is fairly common. Obviously with tissue removed on one side will make them asymmetric.  Choosing the correct implant really is done in the office during evaluation.  It is hard to say via this forum what would be best for you.  Sometimes different profile implants are indicated.