Asymmetric Breasts/nipples, Possible to Move/make Smaller? (photo)

My breasts are very asymmetric and I don’t know what procedures could be done to make them seem less so. I've discovered that the shape/size of my breast seems to me quite similar and that the problem is the size and placement of the nipple. I've attached a photoshopped picture where I’ve moved one nipple a bit higher and making it a bit smaller and it seems as though it makes them look rather even. Is a procedure like this possible and is it a realistic "after-photo"?

Asymmetric nipples are challenging to correct

+3

I unfortunately disagree with the some of the other respondents.  Circumareolar mastopexy procedures typically result in poor scars and enlarged areolas.  Your right areola is larger to begin with and there is a paucity of skin underneath the right areola.  I think likelihood of your results looking like your posted photoshop photo is low.  To obtain symmetry, I really think a lollilop style mastopexy would be needed, and the question then is the scaring worth it?

Your situation is challenging, but I would strongly dissuade you from undergoing a circumareolar pexy.  I think you'd be disappointed.  

Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Unilateral Lift

+1

In a situation in which breast augmentation is desired and one areola is lower than the other, a one-sided lift may be appropriate.  The size of the areola can be reduced at the same time.

Breast asymemtry

+1

The photoshopped photo is not exactly realistic becuase all you did is move your ipple and make it smaller, but in reality the skin envelope would also change and be smaller.  Implants with a circumareola reduction may get them close but not exact.

Areola surgery.

+1

Thanks so much for your post. A circumareolar incision would be a good option to reduce and lift your areola for better symmetry. Overzealous use of this incision in patients that are not good candidates typically leads to poor scarring. In other words, poor judgement from both the surgeon and patient will lead to poor outcomes with this incision. On the other hand, an experienced surgeon who uses the operation judiciously in good candidates will get better results. See an experienced plastic surgeon. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Asymmetric Breasts/nipples

+1

A surgeon advising you following an in person exam will be better equipped than those of us trying to do this from a photo. I would also prefer to see a photo with you arms at your sides, rather that the attached pose which actually simulates a lift--I presume with your arms at the sides, there is more ptosis (sag) than there seems to be in this photo.

I think a circumareolar mastopexy might work if the enclose photo looked like this with arms at the side. . However, since this is an arms elevated photo, chances are that the best choice with be a vertical (lollypop) lift.

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Asymmetric nipples and breasts

+1

are quite common.  Depending on what kinds of risks and scarring you are willing to accept, you will have several options to choose from.  I am not a fan of the periareolar approach as well and if you choose this, you should understand what your doctor's revision policy is as it is quite common to have the scar stretch out with time.  Your concerns require a face-to-face evaluation and that will determine what options you could consider.

Curtis Wong, MD

Asymmetry

+1

you could have your areola reduced on the right for improved symmetry. They will only be similar after the surgery not the same!! you have just demonstrated why computer imaging is so misleading. you can do anything with the computer and not the same in surgery

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Solution for asymmetrical nipples pre-operatively

+1

Hello.

Thank you for sharing your photo.

What you are exhibiting is not uncommon. Many patients do show up at my office with similar cases and they choose one of the following two options:

1. Circumareolar mastopexy where the nipple will be elevated and the asymmetry of the breasts will be enhanced.

2. Circumareolar mastopexy with breast implants to enhance the size and the look of both breasts.

Please note that with either option, a perfect symmetry is not attained as no two breasts of a given patient are 100% symmetrical naturally.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.
I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Improving Breast and Areola Symmetry?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Yes, I think that you can improve the symmetry of the areola and breasts with a circumareolar breast lift and areola reduction operation. Of course, the downside will be  the presence of a scar around the areola that is reduced.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of that work.

Asymmetric nipple-areola size/position

+1

I agree with Dr. Becker although I would agree that a picture with arms down would be better to evaluate this. Dr. Becker has also described a procedure I use to help support the new areola position and minimize the effects of tension on the peri-areolar incision (in addition to the usual purse-string suture). The tradeoff is the scar around one areola and not the other. 

It would be nice if it could be done with photoshopping alone. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon