Asymetrical Septum After Rhinoplasty

I had rhinoplasty 3 weeks ago. Among other issues I had a deviated septum. During the first week I noticed the cast was slitly tilting to one side& sure enogh my septum/bridge now looks a little asymetrical& deviated to that side. Can anything be done to make it straigther at this point, or is it likely that another surgery will be nessesary to correct the deviation? Thanks for your insights!

Assymmetry

+2

Three weeks out you may still have swelling as the problem. Deviated noses are among the hardest to correct because of the nature of the cartilage to want to bend back to where it was. Talk to your surgeon if he/she feels that you had complete correction and be patient.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why noses can become newly asymmetrical after rhinoplasty

+2

Often patients find that their noses are crooked after surgery when they weren't before.  This unfortunate change occurs most often with septal deviation.  When the bridge is lowered (as in removing a bump), the underlying septum, which is not in the center, becomes exposed, and the sides fall in toward it, one side more than another (because of the asymmetry). The bridge now looks crooked.

I look for this asymmetry during surgery so that I can take steps to correct it.  At this point, if the asymmetry does not disappear as the swelling resolves, your nose can still be corrected, probably by placing asymmetrically thick "spreader grafts" along the sides of septum. This is an easy procedure, so don't worry.

Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Early asymmetry after rhinoplasty

+2

If you are three weeks out and your nose appears deviated, it may improve with time or may stay slightly deviated. It might benefit you to tape your nose to help with the deviation but I would discuss that with your surgeon as well as your other concerns.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon