Asymetrical Earlobes After Surgery? (photo)

Two months ago, a plastic surgeon closed two holes in each ear lobe, which I thought was a simple procedure. My earlobes were fine but the lower hole was a little stretched from heavy earrings. He never examined them prior to the surgery, not did he tell me about possible negative outcomes. It was clear from the start that he made my earlobes asymetrical. The stitches have been out for weeks, the swelling is gone, but no improvement. The doctor is mostly brushing me off. How can this be fixed?

Assymetric earlobeI

+1

I actually think you have an very good result.  Assymetry of the facial features is very common.  It is simple to revise your result if you want, but you have to be very specific about what you would like done.

Earlobe asymmetry

+1

Every ear is a bit different and I always point this out to patients before I repair them. Good luck. 

Asymmetry after earlobe repair

+1

asymmetry after earlobe repair

• i agree that these can be repaired
  • they look very even at this time
  • you need to identify the areas of concern

Revising earlobe repairs

+1

can certainly be done once you correctly identify what the problem is.  As mentioned by the other doctors, your photos look quite good.  However if there is a real asymmetry, revisions addressing the problem can be done.  If your photos are truly reflective of your results, there is nothing I can appreciate that I could make better and this would apply to your surgeon as well.  The problem has to be appreciated by the surgeon in order to fix it.  If your surgeon doesn't see it, you can always get a second opinion.  Costs of revising will vary depending on what the problem is.

Curtis Wong, MD

Earlobe asymmetry

+1
I don't see gross asymmetry in your photos. Whenever a wound is repaired, scar contracture will occur to a certain degree. Additionally, closing an earlobe hole with a lap-joint flap, the method I use, will result in there being less tissue to work with. I generally close each of the two sets of holes in a separate sitting to mitigate against this. Finally, it can take many more months for things to reach their final appearance.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Asymmetrical earlobes

+1

From the photos, I do not see gross asymmetry.  Did the surgeon take photos of your earlobes prior to the procedure?  The only way to know if there is a difference would be to compare the photos before.  Your earlobes have essentially normal shape at this point, even if very slightly asymmetric.  In answer to your question, there is really no way to make the earlobes perfectly symmetric.  It is impossible to fully control the forces of scar contracture as incisions heal.

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon