Is Assymetry Normal After Breast Augmentation?

I just had a breast augmentation 7 days ago today. Initially i was generally swollen, however, about three days after i saw a big difference in my right breast. It had lowered a bit and it was a lot less swollen than my left. The left is extremely sore, swollen, very sensetive, burning feeling etc. I know it's still early but i'am a lil worried that my breasts will look different permanently. :( I hope not! Any advice?

Early healing after breast augmentation

+1

early healing after breast augmentation:

• see may other posts
  • healing can take 3-4 mos
  • early asymmetries are common
  • massage, bras, straps , taping can all help

Is Assymetry Normal After Breast Augmentation?Answer:

+1

It is very normal even up to 6 weeks later. And they may not settle at the same rate and that makes them look a different size and that can be helped with a little massage..But as I tell my patients, expect your breasts to look more like sisters than twins! And remember...try really hard to enjoy your result and not be too critical when naked in front of the mirror. Lucky for most of us that we spend little time each day that way!!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry after Augmentation may or may not be Normal

+1

The vast majority of breasts are asymmetric. Very few women have identical, mirror image breasts situated on exactly the same location on their chest walls. If identical volume implants are placed in asymmetric implants you will have asymmetric breasts after the breast augmentation. 

That being said further asymmetry can be caused by Breast Augmentation complications in the immediate or late postoperative period. Large painful swelling on one side MAY be associated with bleeding and needs to be acted upon immediately. Late hardening of one side months or years after surgery may be associated with a scar around one of the implants while a sudden drop in volume may be associated with an implant deflation. 

You should see your Plastic surgeon and let him guide you. 

Breast Asymmetry

+1

At this early postoperative stage, asymmetry can either be a normal part of the healing process, or signify a problem like a hematoma in the larger breast.  I would recommend that you follow up with your surgeon and let he or she evaluate the issue.

Donald Griffin, MD

Breast augmentation asymmetry

+1

Remember all breasts are a bit asymmetric.  One may drop sooner than the other. If you are overly concerned that one is a problem, then you should see your doctor.

Breast asymmetry post BA

+1

Generally, yes that is possible to happen, though it's so early to judge any thing.Probably you have to consult your surgeon for any advice.

And always remember that both breasts are sisters not twins , having said that trivial differences is very normal, and the reaction to the surgery can be very different.

Fatema S. Alsubhi, MD
UAE Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric swelling after breast augmentation

+1

Differences in size or shape are very common in natural breasts and so they are expected after any type of breast surgery as well.  A breast augmentation only adds volume to make the breast larger it does not change any other aspects of the breast.

A significant difference one week after surgery, however, should be brought to the attention of your surgeon because there may be a problem that needs attention. I would therefore follow up with you surgeon to make sure all is well.

Thank you for your question and good luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Yes, some long-term breast asymmetry is normal before and after breast augmentation surgery. Based on your description of significant asymmetry and symptoms,  it will be in your best interest to follow-up with your plastic surgeon ASAP  to rule out complications.