Asymmetrical Swelling After Rhinoplasty? (photo)

my rhinoplasty was on july 25th, i had my cast come off two days ago and i'm quite worried about the swelling. my surgeon didn't say anything about it being particularly swollen when the cast came off, so i've basically been sitting around worrying that what i have isn't going to be far from my end result! whilst i realise i'm still going to be swollen, i'm worried about the assymetry of it; is the right-hand side likely to end up the same size as the left? :(

Asymmetrical Swelling After Rhinoplasty?

+1

Yes it is quite early in the healing phase but the posted frontal view photo does demonstrate some issues that in my opinion will not resolve over healing time. Best to wait at least 4 to 6 months than consider revision. 

+1

There is a significant amount of swelling that occurs especially after the splint is removed. Swelling can take up to one year to resolve, but you can expect most of it to resolve in the first 3-6 months such that you can begin to see your result. You are extremely early in the process and will need to give this many months before you really should worry too much about final shape.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Rhinoplasty Recovery Takes Time

+1

Dear Leha, 

This is a common question asked after Rhinoplasty and it is just to soon to tell your final result. The majority of your swelling approximately 70% dissipates during the first three months and the final 30% over the next seven months taking an entire year for your final results. Your surgeon is the best person to discuss your concerns he/she knows what was done during your procedure and where you are in the recovery phase. See your surgeon often for follow up appointments and hopefully this will help set your mind at ease. Best regards and quick healing to you! 

Michael Elam, MD

Swelling At 1 Months After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Leha,

The swelling at 1 months after a rhinoplasty is normal especially after removing the cast. 

Every patient is different and so swelling could fluctuates during the recovery process as well as the recovery pace. 

With that perspective, it is not uncommon to have swelling asymmetry and nasal irregularities prominent within a given range during the recovery process hence the feeling that the surgery may not be successful.

Usually, it takes about 12 months post-op for the final results (a little longer for patients with thick nasal skin). Therefore, being patient and allowing mother nature to take its course is an important aspect of helping yourself going through a safe and healthy recovery process.

The best of luck to you and thank you for your post.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Asymmetrical swelling is very common

+1

Asymmetrical swelling is very common.  It can be related to more fluid in the tissues on one side and does not mean the nose will heal asymmetrically.  It is much too early to tell.  Be patient and trust your surgeon.  You should be ok.  

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry

+1

We answer this question many times a week on RealSelf and the answer is always the same: It takes 12 months to heal before any revision work can be attempted.  Time is on your side.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon