Asymmetric Implant Removal: What Are the Risks?

My surgeon just realized that I have a 325cc and a 375cc saline implant. I want an explantation with no replacement. I am worried that the 50cc difference may have a bad effect on the looks of my breast after the explantation. I had the implants for 10 years and have no complications. What are the risks? Can I have one breast all destroyed compared to the other one?

Asymmetric Breast Implants and Removal?

+1

Without examining you it is difficult to say how different your breast will look given the different size implants currently in place. The more native breast tissue you have,  less of a difference you'll notice when the breast implants have been removed.

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Assymetric implant size and removal

+1

It is not unusual to have different size breat implants.  Your original surgeon used different size implants to correct some underlying assymetry in you breasts.  Everyone has asymetric breasts to different degrees. 

The larger your own breast tissue, the less the 50cc difference will be noticable after reomval of your implants.  For example if you had C cup breasts prior to you augmentation 50 cc probably will not be a larger diffence, but if you wore a A cup prior to your augmentation, 50 cc may be more noticable.

In any case, your breasts will not be "destroyed".   You will likely have an increase in the ptosis (droop) of you breasts. You will likely have a bit more assymetry between your breasts.

Good Luck.

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon