Will a Spreader Graft Straighten a Depression on my Nose?

I'm the One That Asked About the Spreader Grafts and if It's Necessary to Have Them to help with breathing. I also wanted to know if you need it to straighten a nose that has a depression on the side ? I also want to thank you for your answers. That was very helpful to me. I noticed many of you recommend I see a rhinoplasty revision specialist. How do you know who really specializes in this and is really good? I want to get it fixed the right way this time!! My nose looks terrible, I can't breathe, and it constantly shifts side to side. ........

There are a number of treatments for a depression in the nose

+2

Spreader grafts are the most commonly used technique in both primary and revision rhinoplasty to treat both crooked noses as well as depressions in the middle third of the nose. Sometimes patients require even more tilling of dents, in that case we use crushed cartilage (your own) over the dent that is called an only graft.

Another option is use of a flexible PDS plate. This is a newly approved material that dissolves over a few months that helps straighten crooked noses and septums. It has been used in Europe successfully for over 14 years and was approved by the FDA in September 2010. I have been very happy with it's use to improve ways to straighten crooked noses.

A spreader graft may be used during Rhinoplasty Surgery to improve your breathing, and straighten the appearance of your nose.

+2

A spreader graft is a small piece of cartilage usually harvested from your septum during rhinoplasty surgery. It is sutured to the top of your septum and may be used to move your depressed upper lateral cartilage into a higher and more lateral position and provide straightening of your nose. This may result in improvment of your airway, if your internal nasal valve is collapsed.

You can identify a reputable revision rhinoplasty specialist by his credentials, work experience, photos, and reviews. If all of that looks good, go for a consultation to evaluate your experience with the doctor and his staff.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Looking for a revision rhinoplasty surgeon

+2

Dear Rhinoplasty Patient from Illinois,
A spreader graft is what you need to correct the deviated nasal vault. If you’re looking at a revision rhinoplasty surgeon in your area, Doctor Dean Toriumi is one of them. Good luck.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Spreader Grafts in Revision

+1

Spreader grafts can be used to straighten the nose, improve depressions, and enhance nasal breathing. Find an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon who will show you many good results in patients that have been revised.

Spreader Grafts To Correct Breathing Difficulties and Straighten the Nose

+1

Spreader grafts will help to serve two functions.  One, they are utlized to correct internal nasal valve collapse associated with the upper lateral cartilage.  Placement of spreader grafts help to widen the internal valve and allow better nasal airflow.  Unilateral Spreader Grafts (grafts placed on only one side of the nose) can be used to correct a crooked nose caused by a depression on one side of the nasal bridge.  Placement of a unilateral spreader graft can fill the concavity (depression) on that side of the bridge giving the nose a straighter appearance.  I suggest careful examination by an expert revision rhinoplasty surgeon.  Good luck....Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Spreader grafts and and finding a surgeon who is good at this.

+1

The best way to find an excellent surgeon is to find one who is very experienced and his work looks good on revisions. Furthermore, we have our patients meet with patients I have done so they can see live people and not computer images!

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

Any Plastic Surgeon who does lot of rhinoplasty also deals with revision, I am not aware of surgeon who perform only revisions and not primary rhinoplasty. Look for a surgeon with experience in Craniofacial surgery.

Sanjay Parashar, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Correction of nasal depressions and/or irregularites

+1

This may require a combination of interventions which in addition to a spreader graft include onlay camouflage garfts and/or an medial and/or lateral osteotomy with out fracture. It is best to meet with several surgeons to get their recommendations.

Spreader grafts

+1

Spreader grafts can do several things but are primarily used to open up the middle vault to allow for better breathing, and also to camouflage deviations in the dorsal lines and to help straighten the dorsal septum.