What's the Usual Percentage of Revisions That a Rhinoplasty Surgeon Has to Do?

I asked a prospective doctor how many revision rhinoplasties of his own work does he perform? What is an acceptable percentage?

Average revision rate for rhinoplasty surgeons

+1

The average is anywhere from 5 to 15% depending upon the experience of the surgeon. Ten percent is probably the national average for revision rhinoplasty (a full secondary rhinoplasty) and minor touch ups.

Rhinoplasty revision rate

+1

In my practice, my revision rate is below 10%. I normally tell my patients that it usually is between 10-15%. This depends on how the bones break, healing, hump regrows, more narrowing desired. Watch my video.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Usual Percentage of Rhinoplasty Revisions

+1

There is no "usual" percentage of rhinoplasty revisions because there are many variables in each surgeon's rhinoplasty practice. National studies say the rate is between 5-15%. An experienced expert who does a lot of difficult revisions on patients after their original operation by another surgeon may need to revise more of these cases. This surgeon probably also has more difficult primary cases referred by other plastic surgeons because of his/her reputation and expertise. Very minor revisions are also included in these studies. Having said that, I think most of us with busy rhinoplasty practices, including a lot of revision referrals,  revise 5% or less of our rhinoplasties.

Rates of Revision rhinoplasty: touch-up or secondary nose job percentages

+1

Although you have reicieved varying quotes, I will provide you with a reference and presentation that states that the literature gives ranges from 7-18% and an ideal range has been cited as between 5 to 10%.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty revision surgery may occur at anytime following the initial nasal operation. Revision nasal procedures may be relatively minor or major. The nose continues to change with time even with the best rhinoplasty surgery. National average for revision rhinoplasty ranges from approximately 5% to 15% or higher. The more complicated the initial surgery, the higher chance for revision. For example, an adult with a history of a cleft nose who also broke his nose playing sports will have a much higher chance of revision rhinoplasty surgery than a woman with a small bump she wants reduced.

Speak with a rhinoplasty surgeon to help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Most Rhinoplasty nasal irregularities may be improved without additional surgery.

+1

I am passionate about both Rhinoplasty Surgery and Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty. My fellowship preceptor was the first to teach me how to correct irregularities from rhinoplasty using liquid injectable silicone. This is a versatile, off-label filler that may improve the appearance of your nose and lead to a permanent improvement. If a surgeon has no experience in this regard, then his revision rate will be relatively high.

I treat so many patients non-surgically that have undergone 4 or 5 nose jobs. There may be persistent irregularities that respond incredibly well to treatments with Silikon-1000 utilizing topical anesthetic. 

My personal revision rhinoplasty rate is between 1-2%. I use Silikon-1000 in my own nose jobs (10% of my own cases) to convert a good result into a great result. This is done at no additional charge, and there is no downtime associated with these office procedures. I am very particular about the appearance and satisfaction of my patients after rhinoplasty surgery. 

If any of my colleagues wish to learn more about my experience with Silikon-1000, I am giving an instructional course in Boston at the upcoming Fall Meeting of The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS). The course is titled "Off-Label Applications of Liquid Injectable Silicone (LIS)", and I will be presenting on 9/24/2010 at 4pm. Common conditions treated include: volume replacement, wrinkle reduction, lip enhancement, acne scarring, and correction of many nasal irregularities (“Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty”). I will also be describing the serial puncture, microdroplet technique that is essential for achieving desired results.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Percent of revisions in rhinoplasty practices.

+1

It should be less than 5% and these should be quite minor touch ups. Since about 40% of my practice is revision surgery from "elsewhere" this group is closer to 5% while my primary rhinoplasty is 1-2%. It also depends how how perfectionistic the surgeon is. I'm more perfectionistic than most of my patients.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

In my practice I revise approximately 2% of my own Rhinoplasties. These are typically minor revisions. On average, I don't think that >5% would be acceptable.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Average rhinoplasty revisions

+1

This was recently discussed at a national meeting.  The average seems to be around 8-10% and this includes even the most minor of revisions.  Never trust someone who says they never need to have a revision in their practice.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

It varies

+1

In my practice it is between 5 - 8% of cases. But I do a lot of noses and have been doing them for a long time. Younger surgeons usually have a higher rate.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD