I Asked my Doctor How Long He Kept the Botox for Use After Mixing-Said 2 Wks., Is This Ok?

I Asked my Doctor How Long He Kept the Botox for Use After Mixing He Said 2 Wks. Is this ok?

How long does botox stay fresh

+5

I feel that Botox is best used within 24 hours of it being reconstituted. It comes as a frozen powder and we add saline to it. I feel it is it's most potent the day it is mixed. I feel the patient is spending a lot of money for this product and believe they should always get fresh product. An office that has product around for 2 weeks is not doing it very often.

In my office we always start with fresh Botox mixed that day. So we still have Botox days and this way the patient knows it is as fresh as possible.

Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Storing Botox

+5

Botox should be used within 24 hours of reconstituting(mixing) it.  With that said, two weeks later, if kept at a cool temperature, it will likely be okay.  However, why would you want to spend your good money on Botox that has been sitting around for 2 week.  For our patients, we always open a new vial and reconstitute in front of them and use the Botox right away.  This way, our patients know that they are getting the freshest Botox available.  Our profit margin may be lower this way, but it ensures our patients are getting the best care.  If your injector has Botox sitting around for 2 weeks and has not injected it, then they must not do very many Botox injections in their practice and you may want to go to someone more experienced.  In our office, we go through multiple vials each day, so Botox sitting around for 2 weeks is never an issue.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Botox's effect is not compromised if used within two weeks

+3

keeping the diluted Botox refrigerated is often done by physicians as an off-label procedure and no reduction in efficacy has been demonstrated. In my office, Botox is done so frequently that several vials are open the same day and it is rare to have one sitting more than a few days.

Ronald Shelton, MD

+3

Most MD's that inject neurotoxins like Boox, Dysport and Xeomin will use them for two weeks after reconstituting them with saline.

Can Botox be Used 2 Weeks after Mixing?

+3

Hi Cincinnati.  Yes, the Botox should be ok for up to 2 weeks after mixing with saline.  This would be the longest time that your injector would want to leave it before using and it not recommended to keep for any longer than this by the manufacturer.

Most offices that provide Botox injections do not need the product to remain reconstituted (mixed) for 2 weeks because they use it more quickly than that.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

2 weeks is ok

+3

Botox should be ok if left for 2 weeks. However, I will tell you that most top injectors would never have it sitting around this long. I use each vial I open within a day, maximum. 

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

How long is Botox good after reconstitution

+3

Studies have shown that Botox is fully effective for up to six weeks after it has been reconstituted. If your doctor is injecting Botox that has been reconstituted two weeks ago you would not be able to detect any difference between that and freshly reconstituted Botox. Any doctor that tells you they mix it up fresh for each patient so it will work better  is not practicing evidence based medicine, is wasting a lot of Botox, and is probably charging too much for your treatment. In my office we use several bottles per day so this is not an issue for us. I recommend you find a physician who has lots of experience injecting Botox and most likely does not have it sitting around for two weeks anyway.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

How long does Botox stay fresh after reconstitution?

+3

Botox arrives as a powder in a sealed vial, and saline must be added to it before injection (reconstitution.) It does lose some potency after a few weeks but is probably OK at 2 weeks. However, a top level Botox provider rarely has any Botox sitting around that long.

Richard Baxter, MD

How log will Botox last

+3

Two weeks is usually ok. Most practices use it up faster then that. If you don't get the desired effect then ask your doctor about  more.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Use of Botox 2 weeks after reconstitution

+3
Botox will remain potent for about one month after reconstitution. In my practice, it rarely remains unused after two weeks and, after a month has elapsed, my staff gets free Botox treatments!

Robert L. Kraft, MD