How Often Do Asians Have Their Eyelids Touched Up?

Are revisions more common for Asian eyelid surgery? What are the common reasons?

Common Reasons for Asian Eyelid Surgery Revision

+1

Many people from all over the world come to me to revise their Asian blepharoplasty with other surgeons. With Asian Eyelid Surgery, common reasons for revision include: removing too much skin or fat (which is a common technical error made by eyelid surgeons less familiar with Asian eyes).   Another reason for Asian eyelid surgery revision is unhappiness with scars after blepharoplasty which go outside the natural crease and are difficult to manage. A major reason is “Americanizing” or “Europeanizing” the eyelids which leaves a very unnatural appearance. Asian Eyelid Surgery requires the surgeon performing the procedure to have a thorough understanding of the anatomy of the eyes which make Korean, Chinese, Japanese and other Asians different from people of European, Asian Indian or African lineage. The Asian eyelid has some very important anatomical differences from non-Asian eyes. Ethnicity, age, gender and skin quality, general health need to be considered when developing a proper strategy for Asian Double Eyelid Surgery. 

Web reference: http://www.prasadcosmeticsurgery.com/prasad-face-eyes/eyelifts/asian-eyelid-surgery/

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asian blepharoplasty double eyelid surgery revision percentage

+1

Some have quoted 13-35% for revisions. There are many reasons for having this high rate. Communication with the patient is probably the highest reason for this occurring. Surgeon skill probably is a cause of much of these revisions. The procedure is highly dependent on the skill of your surgeon. I usually take about 45 minutes to measure the incision and future crease and the surgery takes about 1.5 hours. For me it is not a quick procedure and requires intense precision.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Resurgery frequency after Asian eyelid surgery

+1

Resurgery can be due to technical error by the surgeon, miscommunication presurgically between the patient and surgeon, low patient threshhold for the slightest asymmetry, or other wound healing variables (exposure to smoke; asymmetric eyelid muscle function; inordinate amount of brow sag after surgery); impatience with the healing process; parental or disapproval by one's significant other, resulting indissatisfaction (and request for re-srugery).

There's not a blanket answer to give to this question, but certainly many factors come into play when it comes to reoperating after Asian eyelid surgery, and sometimes it is due to technical difficulties of the operation, and sometimes it's for completely unrelated reasons.

Having a conservative eyelid result that requires additional surgery is not a complication.

+1

Revisional eyelid surgery can be done to obtain additional aesthetic benefit or to correct an undesirable result.  In approaching an asian eyelid surgery, I would rather under do a double fold even if this means a touch up surgery.  It is important to understand that there is no fixed formula for how to place a crease and precisely how much skin should be removed. The eyebrow will relax down to some degree after any eyelid surgery.  The art is estimating these factors in designing a particular surgery.  The key is that fixing a lid that has had too much skin removed is almost impossible.  However, fixing a lid that still has a bit too much fold is much more straight forward.  How often does it happen that an eyelid needs to be revised.  I think a 10% rate is a good estimate.  This means that one in 10 might benefit from revisional surgery.

10% rate of complications in the medical literature

+1

A study done in Taiwan reported a 10% rate of complications in double eyelid surgery. That is one of the highest rates for any cosmetic operation. The commonest complications are creases that are incomplete or shallow, or are not symmetric, too high or too low, or do not last and disappear. Many surgeons can have lower complication rates than the 10%, but any surgeon who does a lot of surgery occasionally has to touch up a double eyelid patient.

Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon