Asian Rhinoplasty / Implant

Hi Doctors, If one wants to increase the height of his nose bridge together with lengthening the tip, would a single piece of implant be necessary or would the surgeon need two pieces for the two areas? Thanks!

Asian rhinoplasty

+1

As indicated by several of the previous posts, silicone or other types of implants can be troublesome.  They can get infected and they can erode through the skin even years later.  This is especially a problem with L shaped implants that are being used to both lengthen the nose and build it up.  Additionally, it is not uncommon for these implants to twist and be crooked.  For these reasons, cartilage grafting is usually a better long term solution for most people, including Asian noses.  It is a bit more complicated surgery and takes longer but the results can be superior and once healed give very few problems. 

Asian Rhinoplasty - Implants

+1

I am not a fan of the L-shape nasal implants.  I like to use separate cartilage tip grafts and dorsal augmentation. This gives a more natural look.  The dorsal implant can be solid, crushed or diced cartilage.  In thicker skin, dorsal silicone implants can work well, but they do have an incresed risk of infection. 

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Asian rhinoplasty with implant

+1

Most Asians who require rhinoplasty are looking for an augmentation of the nasal bridge. This can be done through two different procedures that include synthetic implants, such as silastic where the implant is inserted into the nasal dorsum. We prefer to use the Flowers nasal dorsal implant manufactured by Implantech. If the patient prefers to use his or her own tissues, cartilage from the septum can be employed to augment the bridge. Both of these procedures can be done through an endonasal approach and do not require open rhinoplasty.  

Asian Rhinoplasty with Implant

+1

I advocate using the patient''s own cartilage to augment the Asian bridge and dorsum. Some surgeons use silicone implants which are easier to place, but there is more risk of movement, infection and extrusion. 

Implants in Asian rhinoplasty

+1

It may be possible to use a single implant both for dorsal nasal augmentation and tip lengthening, although cartilage grafts for the dorsum and tip support may be necessary to produce the look you desire.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Asian Rhinoplasty / Implant

+1

A photo would have been extremely helpful. But from the previous postings you can see in the US silicone nasal implants are not really recommended. If I was FORCED to use one it would be 2 pieces from your excellent description. Best of Luck. 

Rhinoplasty augmentation

+1

A dorsal onlay and perhaps a columella strut may be necessary for the things that you asked regarding your nose, but it is difficult to say without an exam.

One or two grafts for asian rhinoplasty.

+1

I have used 2 or more pieces of the patient's cartilage for Asian rhinoplasty. I don't like the look of silicone implants and they can become infected and need  to be removed. Other surgeons like the simplicity of silicone.

Number of cartilage grafts for a nose job

+1

It sounds as if you may require two pieces. The problem with a single piece is that it can have a spring like effect. It can be secured in the bridge but it can become unstable at the tip where it can act like a diving board. Therefore it requires a peice to stabilize and support it.

Raising the bridge and lengthening the Tip

+1

Hi,

In order to raise the bridge and lengthen the tip, I would recommend using a custom carved silastic implant and cartilage grafting for the tip. The single implants used to lengthen and raise the bridge can look awkward and are not custom fit to every nose. This is a common procedure I perform in African Americans as well. You can see the details on my website below.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS