Asian Rhinoplasty - When Can I Take out my Silicone Implant from my Nose?

I had my humped nose corrected and inserted a silicone implant three weeks ago in Korea. Now I'm regretting ever getting the implant because I've read that silicone implants have a high infection rate and thins out the skin. I want to eventually take out the silicone and use my own cartilage before the implant damages my skin or it gets an infection. When can I take out my current silicone implant? And, will using my own cartilage look more natural than an implant b/c my bridge looks too high.

+2

Before you panic...take a slow, deep breath.  Only, the vertical segment of the older L-shaped silicone dorsal implants erode through the skin in the supra-tip area.  If you have this type of nasal implant this can be trimmed back in a reasonable timeframe and does not need to be done in an urgent amnner.  

Lifting the skin, off the nose, for any type of Rhinoplasty procedure should not be done any sooner than 6 month intervals in order to avoid cobblestoning of the nasal skin which can be unsightly and permanent.

First, ask your Rhinoplasty Surgeon what type of silastic implant you have and then go from there if need be.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Silicone is still the most commonly used material in Asian rhinoplasty.

+1

I would strongly recommend that you find out more facts and information on the silicone implants used in Asian rhinoplasty before deciding to remove the implant. Thinning of the tip skin and infection can occur with "L" shaped implants and the dorsal implants that extend to the tip. However, infection and thinning of the skin are rare complications with strictly dorsal implants especially when performed by experienced, competent surgeons. There must be reasons why silicone is still the most commonly used material for augmenting the nose bridge.

Revision Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but unfortunately you are not alone.  This is a common request for revision Asian Rhinoplasty in my practice.  Using your own cartilage will yield results that are natural appearing and balanced with the rest of your face unlike synthetic implants such as silicone or gortex, which have many associated complications and do not give a natural appearance.  Many patients request removal of the implant asap.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can best assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Web reference: http://www.kimberlyleemd.com/procedures2/asianrhinoplasty

Asian Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

You can take out the implant any time. However there 2 recent large studies showing that silicone nasal implants in Asian rhinoplasty are superior to any other implant.. Its not the Implant that matters its the way the implant is put in your nose and the skill of the surgeon that puts it in. Cartilage may still be an option if you absolutely dont want silicone but be careful about how and why you make your decision.

Best Dr.S.

Web reference: http://rhinoplastysurgeonnewyork.com/asian-rhinoplasty.htm

Removal of Silicone Nasal Implant

+1

Before you make an impulsive decision to remove the silicone nasal implant placed just three weeks ago consult with a specialist to discuss your options. I don't recommend silicone implants because of the possible complications you mention. However, if the implant has been properly placed, you have thicker skin, an L-shaped implant was not used, and you like the appearance of your nose it may be better to wait and have a revision only if any complications do occur in the future.

+1

There are risks associated with silicone implants for nasal augmentation. However, not every implant becomes infected or displaced. It's possible that you may like your result and that you may go through life without any complications from your implant. It is not recommended to remove this implant now if there is no evidence of infection or other problems. Wait at least 3 months for the swelling to subside so the nose can be re-evaluated for reconstruction with a cartilage onlay graft.

Reston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.