Asian Nose Job for More Defined and Built Up Nose?

I am Asian and I want rhinoplasty surgery to make my nose to look more defined and built up. What do you do in these cases?

Cartilage is the best prostheses in rhinoplasty surgery

+3

We see many patients of Asian or other backgrounds with the very same concerns you describe. There are a number of ways to build up your bridge and give your tip more projection.

The easiest way for a surgeon to do this is by using a prosthesis, usually made of silicone, to lay over the entire bridge in order to make the nose more prominent. This is a very common procedure, especially in East Asian countries.

Sometimes, it works with success, but other times there are problems with these prostheses, such as infection, exposure, or movement as time passes. For this reason, here at Profiles, we use prostheses as a last resort. Our material of choice is your very own cartilage.

We usually take this cartilage from your septum (the midline wall deep within your nose) or sometimes from one or both ears. In either case, you won’t notice it’s gone and your ear anatomy will look the same. By using your own cartilage, we are able to achieve a significant and natural-appearing nasal augmentation with almost no risk of rejection, infection, or other graft problems, even long-term. So, you can be reassured of a better chance at a great result.

Asian Rhinoplasty Techniques

+2

Obviously each Asian nose is different and patients come in seeking varied aesthetic outcomes. All that being said, there are some basic principles for rhinoplasty in Asian patients: 

First, there is the issue of building up the bridge. My preference in these cases is to use your own cartilage, usually taken from the septum, or in some cases, the ear. Implants can be used as well. 

Secondly, the tip of the nose is usually less projected (the degree to which the nose "sticks out" from the face) and the skin of the nose is usually thicker. This means that the underlying cartilage framework of the nose has to be built up with the use of sutures and cartilage grafts, such as a columellar strut or shield graft.

Lastly, some patients have a wide base of the nose and with smiling, their nostrils widen and flare further. In these situations, a nostril narrowing procedure, such as a Weir excision or sill excision, is appropriate. 

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian Rhinoplasty Often Requires Augmentation

+2

It is common to need to add support and "build up" the Asian nose to achieve aesthetic goals.

This is usually done with grafts, typically cartilage from the septum and/or ear, but can require other materials (bone or artificial materials), or other sources.

In consultation, your surgeon can explain his/her recommendations, depending upon your goals.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Asian Rhinoplasty often includes narrowing the nasal dorsum and defining the nasal tip

+2

The goals in this type of Rhinoplasty often include making the nasal dorsum narrower and the nasal tip more refined and defined. In the nasal dorsum, and occasionally in the nasal tip, additional tissue may be required to accomplish this- usually cartilage. This cartilage may be obtained from the septum, (which divides the left and right side of your nose internally), the cartilage in the ear, or (less commonly) from cartilage in the rib.

An alloplastic implant may also be used to narrow the nasal dorsum and create more volume in the nose. The alloplastic materials used in my practice include ‘silastic’ (a polymer which becomes encapsulated by your own tissue to secure in position) and Gortex ™ (which your own tissue fibers will grow into for fixation).  Other alloplastic materials are available, but these are my preferred choices.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Building up the nose in Asian rhinoplasty

+1

The nasal tip cartilage require strengthening using ear cartilage or septal cartilage. The bridge often needs some  added height, even if minor, in order to give a narrower appearance. This is best accomplished using your own tissues. I prefer ear cartilage wrapped in fascia. Finally, the nostrils often require narrowing by a combination of tissue removal and internal sutures.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Asian rhinoplasty

+1

Very commonly for patients of Asian decent, the nasal bridge is low and the nasal base is wide.  These can be altered in surgery.  Dorsal onlays using synthetic products like a silicone implant, or autologous (your own tissue) cartilage, or even donor cartilage can be used to correct a flat nasal bridge.

Asian Rhinoplasty (nose job)

+1

One of the most commonly performed procedures in "Asian Rhinoplasty" is the use of a cartilage graft to the bridge of the nose. Other adjuunctive procedures include a columellar batton graft to support and add projection to the tip as well as the use of a tip graft followed by the use of alar reduction.

Rhinoplasty for Asian Patient

+1
There are quite a few techniques for building up and refining the typical Asian nose. These techniques may involve the sculpting and suturing of cartilage, the use of Gore-tex implants, and others. An experienced surgeon can discuss these options with you.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Asians

+1

Each nose is different and should be customized to the patient.  I prefer the use of autologous materials (the patient's own body tissues) rather than silicone, Gore-Tex or Med-Pore because there is more customizablity, better acceptance of these tissues by the body, and may look less obvious overall in appearance.  The downside of performing an operation with a patient's own cartilage is that the procedure takes longer, and is more technically difficult to perform.

The key step in Asian noses is making sure the nose fits the face.  A nose with too high of a dorsum or too projected can create a nose which does not align with the other facial features.  The surgeon, in particular in Asian noses, should perform photoimaging to create a dorsal profile and tip definition consistent with the patient's desires.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian rhinoplasty must be performed well

+1

In a rhinoplasty of Asian descent it is important to evaluate each case.  Is the main problem a lack of dorsal height (the nose is flat) or is the starting point of the nose in the wrong place. There are many other factors in assessing the nose and each is individual to the specific case.  After the correct diagnosis, it is relatively simple to apply the correct techniques to change the nose

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon