Nose implant alternatives in Asian Rhinoplasty?

I am considering an Asian Rhinoplasty. I like the size of my nose (but when I smile, it looks a little wide in pictures), but I want my nose bridge to appear taller. However, I noticed the people who have implants, their noses are narrower than before.

I want to have a natural look, not too tall, and something that is permanent. I heard that silicone nose implants can shift over time or show through the skin. What other alternatives are there? Which one would fit me the best? And whats the recovery time? (My nose looks better in real person)

Natural Asian rhinoplasty

+1
I agree with Dr. Lee, there is no better alternatives than your own tissue.  However, her options include your own cartilage or donor cartilage or a silicone implant.  The silicone implant as you pointed out should be the last choice because it's really only practical and patients who want moderate changes to the bridge and have thicker skin.  The patient who has thicker skin can have that silicone implant for a very long time and it want show through.  If your skin is a little bit on the thinner side for an Asian the implant tends to show.

Chase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alternatives for nasal implants

+1

Use your own tissue to build up the bridge. Cartilage from your septum and your ear will be sufficient to build your bridge without having to resort to rib. There's no more a natural look than using your own tissues.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Asian bridge implant options

+1

Besides silicone implants other options include using your own cartilage (septum, ear, or rib). Other materials that implants can be made of include gortex and portex. Depending on your goals there are several options. I tend to prefer using patient's own tissue for these types of cases, but with bridge augmentation a synthetic implant can have its place, if you understand the risks.

An in person exam woul allow for a better evaluation of your options and a more detailed discussion of the pros and cons of the various approaches.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Asian rhinoplasty and nasal implant options

+1

Silicone implants are often used in Asian rhinoplasty and work quite well as long as the implant size is not too large.  This is the typical problem where it is more than obvious an implant has been placed.  Too big of an implant will leave a high bridge and will create the illusion of a high sidewall.  The silastic implants usually do not shift over time unless they are too big and cause pressure necrosis of the skin.  The implants we prefer are the silastic flowers nasal dorsal implants manufactured by Implantech.  They come in small, medium, large, and extra large.  Most patients will require either a small or a medium.  

To do photo imaging with your own photo, download our iPhone app free of charge.  Just enter "Seattle Plastic Surgery with Dr. Portuese" as search terms.  Once downloaded, you can simulate rhinoplasty by changing the shape of your nose to be smaller, larger, etc...  

Nasal surgery, rhinoplasty,nose implants, cartilage, rib grafts

+1

There are many alternatives for enlarging the bridge of the nose. I usually use silicone implant for it involves less trauma to the nose and is tolerated quite well by the patient. However, the things you mention may occur. I have used other alternatives like even a rib graft. I try to discuss various options with my patients and we chose what fits them best. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Nasal bridge implant for Asian rhinoplasty patients

+1

Hi ttcl,

Thank you for sharing a photograph. Based on the single photograph and your personal goals, a conserviative skin excision to narrow the nostrils might be more appropriate than a nasal implant.

Nasal augmentation of the bridge is a common part of rhinoplasty in Asian patients. Augmentation material is typically "plastic" material such as goretex or silicone. While one's own cartilage is generally preferred to augment the bridge, there may be insufficient nasal cartilage to provide adequate augmentation. Ear cartilage is another option. As a result, many plastic surgeons will use either of these materials. Both materials have advantages and disadvantages. There is a possibility with either implant that it may problems such as movement/shifting or infection, which may require removal.

Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Use your own cartilage

+1

I suggest that you stay away from silicone nasal implants.  They frequently shift, get infected, are palpable, and have a high rate of revision.   Use your own cartilage or simply try a non surgical approach with Radiesse injections.   Good Luck!   Dr Grant Stevens   

Grant Stevens, MD

Asian Nasal Augmentation

+1

Silicone implants are frequently used to augment the bridge in Asian rhinoplasty because it is technically easier for the surgeon and the patient's recovery is relatively short. However, complications such as graft movement and post-op infection are more frequent. I prefer to use the patient's own cartilage which will become incorporated into the patient's normal surrounding tissue. 

Gore-Tex or Your Own Cartillage for Asian Augmentation Rhinoplasty

+1

You are right. Augmenting the bridge gives a more narrow appearance on the front view. A conservative augmentation will minimize this. Consult a rhinoplasty expert who performs computer imaging to get a sense for how this would look on you.

Alternatives to silicone include Gore-tex or your own cartilage. Cartilage can be taken from your septum or external ear.  Both are excellent alternatives.

In terms of recovery, swelling and bruising is at its worst on day three following surgery, and usually subsides two weeks following surgery. Follow the link before to find out detailed information about Asian Augmentation Rhinoplasty and what to expect from the recovery period, including when you can go back to work and regular activities.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage Dorsal Augmentation in Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

In considering a permanent dorsal (bridge) augmentation, only your own cartilage can produce such a long-term result. Implants, regardless of their composition, have risks of infection, migration, shifting and tissue thinning in the long run. While implants offer a quicker and easier first rhinoplasty, the statistics are that it will not be your last rhinoplasty over your long remaining life.  Using your own cartilage is initially more difficult and may require a donor site from the rib, but it will have none of the implant-related problems if well carved and placed initially. As for appearance, dorsal augmentation will make the nose look more narrow as it gets taller. That is a function of the size and shape of the implant.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD