Asian Rhinoplasty on Bridge and Tip

I am an Asian and just had a rhinoplasty three weeks ago in Asia. My surgeon put two big pieces of Gortex (PTFE) to raise my nose bridge height and refine my nose tip. The recovery is fast and I am rather satisfied with the outcome now, but I am stressed out about possible future infection and displacement. I read that Gortex should not be used at nose tip, it can get infected easily, is this true? Also, can the material be easily removed even after years without making my nose look deformed?

Asian rhinoplasty

+1

Gore-tex is a little more difficult to remove from the nose than silicone implants, but can still be done without deforming your nose.  Synthetic implants can always be removed and your nose reshaped with grafts from your own body during revision surgery.  

Gortex for Asian rhinoplasty

+1

If you like the way it looks, then I would leave it alone. Infections will usually occur within 3months of the surgery; late infections can occur but is less common. Monitor for thinning out of the skin.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Gortex implants in Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Gortex can be used successfully in Asian rhinoplasty. With any implant material including one's cartilage, there can be a risk of infection. Implants can be removed however, the porous nature of Gortex does allow for tissue ingrowth. This can complicate removal and resolution of an infectious process.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gortex use in rhinoplasty

+1

I prefer using a patient's own tissue, but many patients do fine with gortex for many years.

Since you've already had the gortex placed and you're doing well I would just leave well enough alone and enjoy your new nose. If you develop problems down the road you could have a revision if needed.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Should Goretex be used in the nose during Rhinoplasty?

+1

Sadly, I do agree that Goretex should not be used in Rhinoplasty and wrote a scientific paper, in the late 90's, to that effect.  Since it's there already, I would remain diligent for the first signs of pink or red skin discoloration wich indicated infection around the goretex implant.

Gortex in Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

While I prefer to use the patient's own tissue, many people have had Gortex successfully placed with good results. If you have any problems in the future, a revision could be done. Good Luck!

Asian nose

+1

While there is definitely some increased risk here, the majority of patients with gore tex implants never have a problem. forget about it now and enjoy your new nose. If a problem ever develops you can address it then. Even using your own cartilage while safer from infection is no guarantee that you might not need a revision someday.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gore-tex

+1

I fing Gore-tex to be a very useful product. It is curious that it does so well on the dorsum but, not in the tip.  if only a singlle piece was used,you may get away with it

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Gore-Tex can be OK for many years, but autogenous is always better

+1

Gore-Tex can be OK for many years, but autogenous material (from your own body) is always better.  You have Gore-Tex now, so see what happens.  The material is soft and can last many years.  If anything happens or you don't like the result, you can always have a revision.

Good luck.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon