Asian Rhinoplasty Augmentation for Nose Hump

I am an Asian female with a nose hump and a flat bridge disappearing behind my eyelashes. I am considering removing the hump and adding a bridge. I would like to know how this procedure is done, because I am afraid adding the bridge will not be harmonious with my forehead when looked at a profile view. Thanks in advance for any answers.

Low radix - relative hump

+1

Sounds like you are describing a common Asian nose shape.  The area of your nose in the region between your eyes is referred to as the radix. This is commonly lower in height than the other regions of the bridge.  To address this several options exist from placing a radix graft to using a dorsal implant to graft to build up the nose. Would recommend consulting with a ps. However something important you need to understand is that if you require significant augmentation of the radix it can potentially alter the shape of your eyes (the epicanthus).

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose hump with flat bridge

+1

It sounds like you need a balanced bridge reduction. Some (not all) of the hump is lowered, then a graft (using your own tissues) is placed between the eyes. The hump will need to be lowered to match the appropriate dorsal height determined by your forehead prominence. I would avoid using a silicone or other implant in your case - it frequently will require too much removal of bone.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Asian Rhinoplasty Video and explanation below

+1

Asian rhinoplasty is a unique procedure all in itself.  You have a bridge which is not as common as an Asian person that needs a bridge.  You also need a bridge above the hump area.  Ultimately, you should have this discussion with your doctor so he can tailor a procedure for you. What this is probably going to entail is reduction of the hump area and an addition of a graft above it.  Alternatively, you could just need augmentation to camouflage the hump. There is a way to avoid making your nose bridge look weird after augmentation. There are standards for the Asian nose. typically the nose bridge starts below that of a Caucasian. A Caucasian nose typically starts at the eyelid crease or eyelid margin or somewhere between the two points.  I have theory on beauty that has helped me decide exactly where the nasal bridge should start.  I have a unique approach to Asian Rhinoplasty that you can read about on my website.

Thanks for reading, Dr Young

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to augment Asian nose

+1

If there is a large enough bump, it must be filed down before inserting a silastic implant to the bridge. The type of implants that we use are manufactured by Implantech and we use the Flowers nasal dorsal implant and have had excellent success with it for many years. Please feel free to do your own computer imaging by uploading your picture to our face touchup portion of our website at seattlefacial.com. You can do your own computer imaging with an uploaded photograph.

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Augmentation is frequent in Asian rhinoplasty. I personally prefer use of the patient's own cartilage. Find a surgeon experienced in working with Asians because, as you suggest, harmony with the surrounding facial features does establish facial beauty.

Rhinoplasty in Asians

+1

There are certain nasal features that are common to the Asian ethnic group, and these may be changed with specialized rhinoplasty. The dorsal hump may be reduced by rasping, and nasal augmentation performed with silicone or Gore-Tex implant. Consultation with your plastic surgeon to discuss your wishes and expectations is very important prior to undergoing surgery.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Asian rhinoplasty

+1

Your concerns are quite common. Usually a dorsal augmentation is necessary. As for the dorsal hump this would probably be rasped so that the graft sits appropriately on the dorsum.

Asian rhinoplasty

+1

This is a very common procedure performed.  In my opinion the composite implants are the best for this issue because they have the softness of silicone but the thin lyer of e-PTFE that surrounds the implant gives some tissue ingrowth to keep the implant in position.  These implants often have to be slightly modified on the table to custom fit the persons nose and this is where the artistry comes in but it is a very safe procedure with a very high sucess rate.

Jason B. Diamond, MD

Asian Rhinoplasty Augmentation/

+1

hi,

i specialize in asian noses and have written the first english language textbook on the subject, Cosmetic Surgery of the Asian Face, which has been translated into Korean.  i have attached a web link to a woman in whom I reduced the hump of her nose then rebuilt the bridge with a 1 mm gore-tex implant to raise the profile, make it look thinner and also to raise the "starting point" the area between the eyes.  it should be started at the mid-pupil area not higher or it will look fake.  too often the bridges are over elevated.  i also built her tip forward with a septal cartilage graft to make it look less retruded.  i have also attached the first part of a lecture i gave last year in Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles.

best,

sam lam

Samuel Lam, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty or nose job for Asians

+1

The Asian nose has certain classic characteristics that need to be understood when pursuing rhinoplasty.  Most Asian noses have thicker skin, a low dorsum or bridge, are underprojected (do not stick out far enough from the face), and have a wide nasal base.  It is important for you as the patient to recognize the changes you desire.  Some rhinoplasty patients want to retain their ethnic nasal appearance or certain features of it.  Others want a more Caucasian appearance to their nose.  Seek an experienced ethnic rhinoplasty surgeon for full evaluation. 

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon