Asian Ptosis Without Double Eyelid Surgery?

I am an Asian male, 21 years old, with pstosis with relatively normal brow position but excess skin over my eyes. About 40% of my pupil is covered. I want surgery to fix it but I do not want double eyelids as I prefer the classic Asian eyes. Is brow lift a possible method? Any suggestions ? Pros and cons will be helpful! Thank you!

Ptosis repair with out a crease placement on Asian eyelids

+2

An internal approach to repair will allow you to avoid a double eyelid operation while correcting the ptosis. The surgery is performed from the undersurface of the eyelid. Your normal brow position suggests you  have a reasonable muscle function, so this may be a good option for you.

You need ptosis surgery

+2

At your age, a browlift is probably not necessary.  It sounds like you need ptosis surgery.  You are correct in that double eyelid surgery can help with ptosis.  In your case, tightening the muscles that control the position of the upper eyelid could open up your eyes and give you the appearance you want.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis repair without double eyelid surgery

+2

Thanks for your question.  I do not recommend a browlift on a 21 year old male without brow Ptosis; brow lifts in men can be feminizing if not done right or if done too aggressively; I recommend Ptosis repair with an external approach if you have a good skin crease

Melinda Lirag Lacerna-Kimbrell, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Brow lift won't work

+2

Morning Im.gyu

You can keep your natural appearance and have the ptosis repaired as well.  Most likely you'll want to take an internal approach (sometimes called a Putterman).  An external approach is still a good option if you have some sort of crease to work with.  Go to several consults and stick with someone who does a lot of Asian eyelid surgery.  Also, if you pupil is covered insurance may cover this.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Posterior ptosis repair to correct eyelid ptosis

+1

Given your young age, reason 40% of your pupil is covered is likely due to lid ptosis rather than dermatochalasis (excess skin).  A posterior ptosis repair (performed on the undersurface of your eyelid with no outside incisions), would be able to address lid ptosis without creating a double eyelid.  If in fact excess skin is your issue, a conservative blepharoplasty could be performed with a low enough crease that it would look "classic Asian".  

Donald B. Yoo, MD