What to Do After Fraxel Laser Didn't Work for Acne Scars on Asian Skin?

I am asian 35 yrs old, fair skin. I had 3x laser fraxel as Dr Rappaport recommended me, was to painful & took few mths to recover. However there were no improvement to my non active acne, my face still the same as before & still ugly. Make me so depress every day I looking at my face getting old, wrinkles, fold lines between my mouth, my old acne bothers me. Dr.would please help me what should I do next? I just want to have my face spotless & wrinkless,fresh young looking again! any advice would be appreicated.

Acne scarring and Fraxel treatment

+1

Importantly, all patients who undergo Fraxel or any other laser, chemical peel or dermabrasion for acne scarring should understand that it is not realistic to expect perfectly smooth and unblemished skin after the procedure(s). In fact, some patients complexions are more prone to develop uneven dark pigment as a response to the healing.  Scars often, but not always improve after a series of high energy Fraxel Restore treatments. I usually suggest at least six and then waiting six months to see the continued improvement as more collagen is produced. Further treatments can then be given, but for those patients with deep scarring, many more than the six treatments can be given continually as long as the results are seen to improve.  Fraxel Repair is more aggressive and more risky, as is dermabrasion. There may be much more improvement that you can obtain by pursuing treatment, but remember the risks and that the skin will never be as it was before the acne scars developed.

Treatment of ASian Skin Acne Scars With Fraxel repair

+1

Hi Asiancheek,

It sounds as if you have had a series of Fraxel restore treatments. If you have been treated with Fraxel restore, then you should consider treatment with a physician experienced in the use of Fraxel repair (which may require multiple treatments for maximal improvement). If you have had Fraxel repair, then the treatment settings need to be reviewed. Fraxel repair will improve your skin, acne, wrinkles, and color, but spotless and wrinkless may be too high expectations. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

It depends

+1

Asian skin is inherently more difficult to treat because of an increased risk of scarring and pigmentation problems after a laser. However, with proper pretreatment with hydroquinone and steroid ointment, most of the time these complications can be prevented. Unfortunately for acne scarring you have to go fairly deep no matter the ethnicity to achieve a measurable result. This of course results in potentially more risk. That being said I have been able to improve Asian skin from acne scarring, but its not perfect. Nothing will make it go away completely. It also may take many treatments to do it safely.

Samson Lee, MD