Can Asian Eyelid Surgery Lead to Stretching of the Skin Around the Eyes?

What changes might be expected in a person's appearance after Asian eyelid surgery?

Asian eyelid surgery and stretching of skin

+1

Asian eyelid surgery should not lead to stretching of the skin around the eyes. The goal of most asian eyelid surgery is to create a "double fold" as well as reduce some of the heaviness of the upper lid.

This surgery has changed along with the times. Early asian eyelid operations often created a very high fold or lid crease. Although that high crease may be suitable for the Caucasian eyelid, it can look unnatural in those of Asian descent. With the shift toward more natural-appearing results, many surgeons will create a thinner crease. As you may know, some Asians are born with a double-eyelid, and in my mind, good surgical results approach the look of what these naturally occuring double lids look like. For example, the portion of the fold toward the nose should blend into the margin of the eyelid and not stay above it.

You will hear differences in philosophy, but make sure you find and meet a board-certified surgeon who has extensive experience with eyelid and facial procedures. I hope that helps and good luck!

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin stretch after Asian eyelid surgery

+1

No, it doesn't stretch in unpredictable ways.  The changes you can expect should be planned and explained to you.  It's different for everyone.  In my patient population I tailor what I do to the patient's request.  

In general, after Asian eyelid surgery, you can expect your eyes to appear a bit brighter and the upper lid lashes to stand up a bit higher in younger patients.

In older patients the change is more about removing excess skin and giving a patient back their previous eyelid crease position.

Hope the helps.

Dr. Chase Lay

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon