Asian Eyelid Surgery Full Incisional, but Permanent Sutures?

I got Asian double eyelid surgery, the full incisional method with skin and fat removed. I still got permanent fixation suture underneath the skin that will remain there forever. Is that how it's supposed to be? I thought permanent sutures only were used for suture method??

Permanent can be a good thing.

The use of temporary sutures with an incisional double eyelid surgery is probably the most common technique. However a very fine but permanent suture can be used to attach the orbicularis muscle to the lid elevators. This stitch is buried under the skin where it cant be seen. This in a sense reinforces the repair and can be thought of as a bit of insurance against the crease fading over the long run.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

100-1537 West 8th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6J 1T5

There is more than one way to accomplish this.

The choice of permanent or absorbable suture is surgeon preference.  There is not set rule regarding which suture to use.  It really is up to the judgement of the surgeon.  I personally think there are good arguments on both side of this type of decision.

9001 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Permanent sutures can be used for open technique

The open technique uses buried sutures to create the crease. Some doctors use dissolving sutures, some use permanent, and some use a combination of both. For closed, or "suture technique", permanent sutures are usually used.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

1550 Richmond Avenue
Staten Island , NY 10314

Permanent suture method with incisional technique is another option

There is a way to leave permanent sutures with the incisional method. This entails tacking the muscles together (orbicularis and levator). This actually gives you a more natural fold that doesn't' remain an adhesed scar that controls the crease but really gives you more of the action that you normally would have with a natural crease.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

1810 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004