Can Blepharoplasty Correct my Asian Eyelids? (photo)

I am Asian with single eye lids. I woke up a few days ago with a double fold on my right eye! My left eye has a single fold. I'm not sure how or why this happened, but would Blepharoplasty correct this?

Asian eyelid surgery

+2

This really depends on what you mean by "correction." If you like the new crease or would like to have a crease, that can be done with a Blepharoplasty procedure which would set a new eyelid crease for you in a permanent way.

I recommend finding a plastic surgeon who does a lot of Asian eyelids and truly understands the anatomy of the Asian eyelid with good knowledge at setting the crease line.

Careful examination required...

+2

Not sure why you would wake up with a different eyelid. But sometimes the fold you think you do not have is really there except that it is very close to the eyelid margin. You can also create false double lids when your skin "sticks" together. Have a surgeon very carefully exam your eyelids especially when they move. What you end up doing, if anything, would depend on whether you like the left side, the right side, or neither. Each procedure should be customized to your specific anatomy and your desires. There is no such thing as an Asian eyelid since Asians have a variety of eyelids.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Uneven Asian Eyelids

+1

Morning Bonbon,

I see this all the time.  This is correctable with surgery.  I spend most of my time operating on Asian eyelids and about 40% of my Asian eyelid cases are for asymmetry.  I'll attach a video that will review this process with you.  Hope this helps.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian Eyelid Surgery

+1

Yes. Aisan Blepharoplasty, double eyelid surgery, can correct this condition. The condition you describe is a common occurrence among asians. Sometime a "double eye lid" appears where you normally have a "single" eyelid. It happens for a variety of reasons, including swelling in one eye, tiredness, aging, etc. Sometimes this occurs sporadically. Some asians appear to have a "single" eyelid, but the supra-tarsal crease is "hidden" and becomes obvious only in certain situations. Depending on your goal, your eyelids can be "corrected." The laxity and resultant fold can be removed or bilateral asian double eye-lid may be corrected. In your case, this can be corrected with a simple suture technique, assuming there is not too much skin laxity. Alternative is a traditional blepharoplasty incision with creation of attachments from you eyelid skin to your levitator muscles and aponeurosis.

Perry Liu, MD

Blepharoplasty can correct asymmetry

+1

Yes, a blepharoplasty can correct asymmetrical eyelids and give an Asian single-eyelid fold a deeper single crease. The surgery will not give a double crease.

Beautification of Asian eyelids is frequently done

+1

Beautification of the Asian eyelid is a very sought out procedure and the surgery needs to address what changes you would like to see in your eyelid.

Richard Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin is not the only answer

+1

Creases could be raised and made more pronounced in an open or closed (no skin cutting) technique. Skin could be removed as well, but from your picture it seems as though your left upper eyelid displays some small degree of ptosis. In this case, raising the crease and removing a little skin might not be enough to achieve symmetry.

Robert Schwarcz, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Yes it can

+1

If a more western or caucasian look is what you are looking for, then a blepharoplasty can be done. If you are trying to return your now double fold right eyelid to a single fold, that will be much more difficult, if not impossible. Consult with an oculoplastic surgeon or board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with correction of asian eyelids. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Find an Asian eyelid specialist

+1

You need to find a surgeon that specializes in the Asian eyelid. The anatomy is unique and surgeons with vast experience can obtain good results for you.

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Make sure you see an Asian eyelid specialist.

+1

Asian eyelids are a complicated subject. My best advice is that you see an Asian eyelid specialist. For what you are asking, yes, it can be corrected - if what you mean to to make it more symmetric. Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD