Thick Eyelids 10 Days Post-op

Had asian crease upper eyelid surgery done. Mainly, to correct my asymmetry (left eye more smaller and droopy. A quiet amount of excess skin has been removed on my left eye. It's been 10 days since surgery & still have swollen eyelids (more on left eye). Though stitches not removed yet, my concern is both eyelids look very thick & don't seem to fold all the way in. Do I still need to wait for healing or this is it? Has too much excess skin been removed or more fat needs to be removed?

Bruising and Swelling After Asian Eyelid Surgery

+1

Dear Essington5187,

Bruising and swelling are very common in the immediate postoperative period following Asian blepharoplasty. Most of the bruising and swelling should resolve within a few weeks, although there may be minor swelling that can last longer. You should see the final result in three to six months.

Best of luck with your recovery,

Larry Fan, MD

Wait a Little Longer After Eyelid Surgery

+1

After Asian eyelid surgery to create the double lid, it is not uncommon to have one eye more swollen than the other, especially when different procedures have been performed on the two eyes. In your case, you state that you have had more skin removed from the left eye. This may, in turn, result in more swelling. 

While I can't really say for certain why you might have the swelling without seeing you in person, visiting your surgeon is a good idea when you have concerns. Remember that swelling after double eyelid surgery can remain for some time, so seeing your doctor and waiting a little longer is probably the best option. I recommend against additional surgery on your eyelids for at least 6 months in order to be sure that you are seeing your final results.

Pasadena Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

+1

without knowing exactly what was done it is difficult to answer. In general you need to wait 3-6 months before the final results are seen. At that time reevaluate with your surgeon and discuss the results.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.