1 Month Post Asian Blepharoplasty; Asymmetrical Eyelids? (photo)

I had my blepharoplasty on May 30th 2012 and it's been a month since the surgery. My left eye is exactly how I want it to look like and swelling seems to be gone. My right eye on the other hand is higher for some reason, I'm not sure if it's because of swelling but the incision line on the right eye isn't flat like the left, it looks like it's deeper for some reason. Is this normal? will my right lid lower down to match my left? did my doc cut it to deep? I'm so scared that my eyes are messed up

Post Asian Blephoraplasty

+1

There is an asymmetry. But, since it’s only a month after surgery, I would wait 3 months before considering any further correction.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asymmetry post op

+1

It is way too early to look so closely at your results...you still have swelling that should resolve with more time.  Tincture of time is the best treatment for you right now...ask your surgeon if you can massage the more swollen side to hasten its recovery.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon

You have ptosis in your left eye

+1

The left eye is not opening all the way due to a weakness in the muscle that opens the eye. This will improve over the next few months but will remain asymmetric to some degree. The most common cause of this type of outcome is a preexisting condition that was not corrected during the double eyelid operation. My recommendation is to wait 6months, then correct your ptosis with left eyelid surgery. The important thing is to find a surgeon who does double eyelid surgery on a routine basis (>150/yr). 

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Asymmetric Asian Eyelid Surgery

+1

Do be patient.  This is stressful for you, for sure, but be patient.  You'd be surprised how much it will change over the next few months.  Should you follow up with your surgeon closely.  Speculating on your part will simply create a lot of anxiety for yourself.  It's perfectly reasonable to get a few other opinions from other surgeons but you likely you will improve.  It really depends on what you looked like before?  Were they lids different from one another requiring some customized approach for each lid?  If so, your healing will be asymmetric for a period of time.  If you see the attached link you'll see multiple examples of eyes that are asymmetric before surgery and after surgery they're symmetric.  Those patients went through a period of asymmetric healing, etc.  

Keep follow up with your surgeon but be patient.  

Best of luck

Dr. Lay 

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Be patient

+1

It is too early after surgery for you to worry about asymmetry. There is significant swelling in the first few weeks after surgery, and sometimes even longer than that. Furthermore, surgical scar will evolve and soften over a period of months. I would not consider revision surgery on anyone until the 3 month post operative visit, and sometimes even longer than that.

If you decide to get a second opinion, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon