I Am 6 Months Post-op Breast Reduction and Feel Disproportionate. I Would Like to Return to my Pre-Op Size? (photo)

I am 6 months post-op breast reduction,36B - 36C. I am a curvy woman, size 14-16, and now feel disproportionate. I would like to return to my pre-op breast size, 36DD - 36DDD, or close to it. My breasts are uneven. I have moderate hypertrophic scarring along the horizontal incision lines of both breasts and around the areolar incision lines. Is it too soon for implants?

Breast reduction and preop size

+1

It is very unusual for someone to have a breast reduction and want to be the same size again. This may be possible with implants depending upon how much tissue was removed.

Augmentation after reduction

+1

At six months, you could have the augmentation. Your body has mostly recovered, and the breast size and shape are nearly finalized. If you wait longer you may get a better result as your breast tissue, skin, and nerves continue to heal throughout the first year or two after surgery.

As far as your scars, you may want to try wearing silicone strips to help flatten the scars. If the are itchy or painful, your plastic surgeon might offer a steroid injection. Best wishes.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation after breast reduction

+1

It takes about a year to a year and a half for tissue to fully recover and mature following any surgery.  With that in mind, your breast tissue may still settle more.  Still, I think that you have probably pretty much reached the size that you can expect following a breast reduction procedure after six months.  If you are unhappy with your size then you could do a breast augmentation at any time now.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Breast augmentation after reduction is done occasionally but six months after the reduction is too early.

+1

The most common scenario for augmentation after reduction is a woman who, after the breast reduction, loses weight and therefore breast volume because of increased physical activity. Your case is somewhat different but in my opinion six months is too early to proceed with breast augmentation.

I Would Like to Return to my Pre-Op Size?

+1

Six months is a reasonable time, unless your size is still changing. 

The scars in the fold seem hypertrophic, but the others look OK.

Those scars could be revised at the time of implantation.

Depending upon how much skin was removed during the reduction, it may be better to strive for a size somewhat smaller than before the reduction. Your surgeon can give you best advice at a consultation. All the best.