55yo Female Ex smoker, severe facial lines around mouth, cheeks & eyes. Would a Face Lift or CO2 Laser be best for me? (photos)
Doctor Answers 6
Face Lift vs Laser (or both)
You probably need both:
Here is why: You age in 3 ways redundant skin and underlying supporting structure laxity,volume shifts (loss of volume in the cheeks, gain in the jowls and submental), and skin surface aging - wrinkles, large pores, age spots). It is important to understand that facelifts are meant to remove major folds and wrinkles, not fine wrinkles. A facelift which removed every line and fold would be too aggressive and would result in an unnatural result. The goal of our surgeons is to make your facelift look as natural as possible. Face lifts do not change the quality of the skin and volume issues are best managed by fillers or fat transfer. Skin aging is accelerated by smoking .
Fine lines and wrinkles are better addressed by skin treatments such as chemical peels or microdermabrasion, which we also offer at our office. Many of our facelift patients enhance their surgical result with these nonsurgical procedures.
Have a question? Ask a doctor
Face lift or laser for smoker
- Congratulations on stopping smoking! Best thing you could do.
- Your photo shows that you have significant loosening of deep facial tissues and significant skin damage.
- Face lifts tighten the deep tissues, the Co2 laser or phenol/croton oil peels treats the skin.
- Assuming your skin is your chief concern. --
- Start with a therapeutic skin care program prescribed by your Board Certified plastic surgeon and based on Retin A/tretionon. The Obagi Nuderm system is one good option.
- After 6 - 8 weeks, have either a CO2 facial laser or a phenol/croton oil peel. Both will hurt afterwards but will remove the damaged skin and improve (not erase) the sever facial lines.
- Then have a face lift for jowls, descent of tissues. You will look really good.
- Hope this helps. Best wishes.
55yo Female Ex smoker, severe facial lines around mouth, cheeks & eyes. Would a Face Lift or CO2 Laser be best for me?
You might also like...
Facelift or CO2 laser for face?
Combination of face lifting and resurfacing
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.