Tummy Tuck After Breast Cancer?

I am a very healthy 50 year old breast cancer survivor. I am schelduled for a tummy tuck next month. I had mild lymph edema of my trunk following my mastectomy and implants which has completely resolved, should I take any special precautions with my tummy tuck? I will be stopping my tamoxifen and using lovenox after the surgery. All thoughts are appreciated!!

Tummy Tuck Considerations After Breast Cancer

First of all, congratulations on your survivorship.

With regards to your tummy tuck, it is possible to have recurrence of trunk lymphedema or to have persistent swelling after surgery.  Your surgeon should carefully consider the extent of your truncal edema and the time it took to resolve.

Another thing to consider before having a tummy tuck is that if you will no longer be able to have breast reconstruction using your abdominal tissue (should you have a problem with your implants). Something to be aware of.

For additional questions be sure to visit the office of a board certified plastic surgeon.