Arthroscopic Knee Surgery & Accutane

I am having arthroscopic knee surgery in 3 weeks to remove a piece of torn meniscus. I am currently on accutane – should I stop taking it?

Accutane and surgery

+1

Accutane can cause poor wound healing and scarring so it would be best to stop the drug if you are having knee surgery. Remember it stays in the system for about a month. Of course, discuss this with you treating doctors.

Accutane and arthrosopic knee surgery

+1

It would seem prudent to discontinue the Accutane prior to any surgical procedure including knee surgery.  Accutane seems to be associated with delayed wound healing and hypertrophic scar formation.

Any such decision to discontinue Accutane, however, should be made in consultation with both your treating dermatologist as well as your orthopaedic surgeon.  They may have a different opinion on the matter.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist