Can a Patient with Arthritis or Fibromyalgia Get Liposuction?

Some medications increase risks during surgery such as liposuction

+2

Hi Bijjhotty

I completely agree with Dr. Stratis’ comments above. Other factors to consider include the limitations and interactions of your medications. As an example, many of the medications commonly use to treat arthritis can increase the risk of bleeding problems during or after surgery. Most surgeons would ask you to stop these medications around the time of the procedure. In addition, many medications used to treat fibromyalgia cause patients to develop a tolerance to commonly used narcotics. This could add some limitations to the type of anesthesia used for the surgery and also make it more difficult to control any postoperative discomfort. These are all issues that your surgeon can discuss with you during your consultation. After seeing a board certified plastic surgeon, you should be able to make an educated decision as to any risks versus the benefits of the procedure.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck in achieving the changes you seek.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Fibromyalgia and arthritis are not contraindications

+1

You can have liposuction with these problems. The risk benefit assessment must be determined at the time of your consultation. There may be situations that would make it a better idea not to have liposuctioning because of the risk of wound healing(depending on the medications the patient is on) or risk of aggravating the underlying conditions of fibromyalgia and arthritis.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon