Can Artefill over Stimulate Collagen?

Can Artefill over Stimulate Collagen?

Can Artefill over Stimulate Collagen?

+1

Thank you for your question. There are no reports of overstimulation of collagen. It is a safe and effective filler to fill in lines and wrinkles with the most longevity while providing collagen stimulation. Be sure to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with expertise in fillers for the best and safest results. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Artefill Treatment

+1

Hello and thanks for the question.

While it is possible to over-correct with Artefill Treatments, this is more of an injector judgement issue, meaning, it is up to the discretion of the clinician to determine how much Artefill will be necessary to correct the deficit in question. The introduction of PMMA particles will incite local neo-collagenesis or new collagen formation, but this generally imparts only a mild to modest increased in volumization.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Artefill can stimulate collagen, probably not Over-stimulate it

+1

When I place Artefill I suggest to patients to plan on a 50% decrease in the volume we place.  Since a large portion of the filler is made of collagen and lidocaine, the patients will see this decrease after about 3 months.  However the remainder stays.

Having the poly-methyl-methacrylate beads which are permanent does stimulate some collagen, although not as much as the amount of collagen that dissipates.  I don't think that Artefill can over-stimulate collagen synthesis.

Good luck in your search for information.

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Artefill and collagen formation

+1

I think the degree of fill you get from ArteFill is from the permanent micro-spheres in the filler,I believe that the degree of new collagen formation is quite small it any at all, and in most cases, not clinically visible.

Julio Garcia, MD

Over correction with Artefill

+1

It is possible to overcorrect with Artefill. Once the carrier collagen dissipates in several months, the PMMA microspheres become covered with your own collagen and stay suspended in the tissues. If too much Artefill is Injected, it can lead to a visible bump. For this reason it is important to be conservative, meticulous, and not overcorrect with the injection. A well done Artefill treatment can give many years of excellent results

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon