How Long Until You See Results from Artefill?

Right after two syringes were injected into n/l and marionette lines, I had visible improvement. But after about a week (bruising, etc. subsided), my face looked exactly the same as before. Five weeks now, the same. Is there hope the Artefill will still work in time? If not, why did it fail?

Dermal Fillers

+1

Hello and thanks for the question.

While you should see elements of immediate improvements following resolution of any swelling subsequent to the initial injection, Artefill will incite secondary collagen production  which can take several months to develop. Generally speaking, most patients require no less than two sessions prior to experiencing optimal results with Artefill.  My recommendation would be to proceed with Artefill treatments conservatively as the product will produce a permanent result and changes, as mentioned, will be gradual and evolve with time.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

You treat the area until you reach the correction you desire

+1

When injecting Artefill, you treat the area until you reach the correction you desire, so you will see the results right away. But, the results will continue to improve because the product stimulates the production of your own collagen over time.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Artefill is always done in at least 2 sessions 3 months apart.

+1

Don't expect to see great results from artefill with only 1 session.  It almost always takes at least 2 sessions about 3 months apart and the results will be evident about 6-9 months later.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

You must go slow with Artefill

+1

Artefill results are permanent, but require your body to respond to it to form the collagen. Everyone is different and responses differ. Most people get 2 sessions and see great results in a few weeks, but I would give it 6 months to judge the two sessions. It is easy to add, but cannot be subtracted!

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Artefill works (if done correctly)

+1

FIrst of all, correction with Artefill is almost never done in one session to avoid the complication of over-correction. My patients usually are booked for two sessions two months apart. The rare patient will need three sessions. Most of the correction is achieved in the first session and for nasolabial folds that means two syringes.

Second, 80% of what's injected with Artefill is cow collagen and is resorbed. Only 20% of the remaining volume is the permanent particles of PMMA. The patient's own body then forms human collagen capsules around each particle, thus restoring that other 80% with the patient's own tissue.

So why would could that "fail"? Several reasons, but the most common would include delayed or impaired collagen formation (e.g., a patient on corticosteroids like prednisone) or injection too deeply, such as into the deep fat of the face.

Injection of Artefill requires thorough knowledge and experience with skin anatomy and with injection techniques. The vast majority of problems I've seen with patients who've had fillers are problems that are--as we say--"proximal to the syringe"--a fancy way of saying that the problem was the person injecting it, not the patient getting the injection.

Make sure, though, that if you return to the surgeon who did it that you compare your appearance with your pre-injection photos... it's possible that there actually has been some improvement.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon