Would you advise patient to use permanent filler like ArteFill over re-injection of a HA-based filler?

in 'the best of all possible worlds,' where a patient could financially afford re-injection of an HA-based or other temporary dermal filler in the face at regular intervals to maintain the full cosmetic effect, would you still advise that patient use a permanent filler like artefill where it's been fda approved? i'm assuming the patient doesn't have some type of extreme needle phobia.

Artefill - permanent filler

+1
I have been injecting Artefill since it became FDA approved in 2007 and I have not seen any inflammatory foreign body reactions in many patients I have treated. Never the less, my patients need to accept the possibility of such a reaction, as unlikely as it may be. I have also no problem with mixing of Artefill with other products containing hyalorunic acid (Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm, new Juvederm-Voluma and Radiesse). I do not inject Artefill into the lips and around the eyes.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Artefill vs HA fillers

+1
Artefill has an excellent safety profile and the 5 year studies show a very low complication rate.  It is an excellent product for those who do not want to refill every couple of years.  It is a product that essentially makes your body build its own tissue and thus it has a very natural feel.  

The patients that I have who chose Artefill over an HA or shorter term filler have been very happy and those who have had both say they will not go back to an HA.

Best regards,

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Artefill Treatment

+1
I know patients like the idea of a filler that is “permanent” however I don’t recommend Artefill as it can potentially cause problems, even years after injection. I find that the alternative fillers have a lower risk of side effects. Now we have an HA based filler that can last up to 2 years, it’s called Juvederm Voluma. Voluma instantly provides a smooth, natural-looking appearance at the injections site. In my office I use a combination of different injectables based on the area of the face that I am injecting.
Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see which option is best for you and how many sessions/syringes you would need.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon