artefill question:

Have been using Radiesse for a few years in cheekbone area. Would like to switch to Artefill since lasts longer. Do I need to wait for the Radiesse to completely absorb before starting Artefill or can I gradually replace the Radiesse with Artefill? Can only a portion of an Artefill syringe be used and then stored and the remainder used later (as I currently do with Radiesse) when more of the Radiesse has been absorbed?

Artefil for cheek augmentation instead of Radiesse

+2

It's against all policy to save portions of a syringe of anything and inject it later into a patient.  In the most simple, of terms, there's no way to guarantee that what's injected is indeed the remnants of your syringe.  For this reason, malpractice carriers, filler manufacturers and all regulatory agencies, including medical boards would not sanction such a procedure.  What's unused should be discarded, no exceptions.

I perform a great deal of Cheek Augmentation using Cheek Implants, Fillers (Perlane and Radiesse).  I understand the value, to patients, in having the filler last longer and even permanently as is the case with Artefil.  I have thought long and hard for many years about using Artefil or Artecol for this very purpose but have two main reasons that I can't and won't offer my patients any permanent filler as an oprtion for Facial augmentation.

1. As the face ages, the soft tissue sag, roilling inward towards the nose and mouth creating the nasolabial folds and marrionette lines.  Fillers like Perlane, Radiesse and Artefil are designed to be injected into this fatty tissue layer, of the face, however this is one of the layers that sags and shifts position as the face ages.  This means Artefil that's injected into the cheeks to shape them will not remain in that position and depending on how the face ages...it will shift along with the fatty tissue layer into which it was injecetd, after 3-5 years.  This would result in the permanent filler creating a deeper, permanent nasolabial fold.
  2. Any filler, temporary or permanent has the potential complication of creating a delayed hypersensitivity reaction within the skin called a granuloma.  If the filler is temporary, so is the gramuloma however if a permanent filler, like Artefil, the gramuloma would last forever and would require an incision through the skin to remove the filler that's causing the gramuloma.  This means a scar on the face.

For these reasons, Perlane, Radiesse or Cheek Implants and not permanent fillers remain the best possible options for Cheek Augmentation.

Is it time for Artefill?

+2

Shana  I have to say this is the first time in awhile I have been impressed with the intelligence of the question and plan of action. I think you have done "it right". You and your doctor are to be commended, my only concern is the "saving" of unused product. with the amounts in the syringes you should rarely find yourself with unuseable product that requires saving. Artefill comes in 1cc syringes, go slow as your reaction may be brisk and you don't want to overshoot. when in doubt supplement with radiesse rather than add an extra artefill.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Artefill to Replace Radiesse or Juvederm or Juverderm Voluma

+1
Artefill is a wonderful long term filler that can easily be used when some of the other product is still present. I usually add enough Artefill to get the correction you want and then add more at a later date when the other product has resorbed. Artefill comes in a slightly smaller syringe and costs more than the other products but last so much longer (5 years at the least) that it is a tremendous value. It feels and looks so natural that you do not know it is there after it has had time to make and build new tissue. That can take 3 to 6 months. My patients are thrilled with this product and often ask why anyone would use another product.  Juvederm Voluma is now available for about the same price but it only lasts up to 24 months according to the studies.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Artefill does good in the cheeks.

+1

Switching to artefill is a good choice and can be done even if radiesse is still present. Do expect to use at least 2-3 syringes of artefill initially and 1-2 syringes about 3 months later.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

No Problem

+1

I have used Artefill for the past 3 years and have found it both safe and effective...I have not seen any significant problems when used appropriately. I have used it many times overlapping with other previously placed products and have seen no adverse interactions.

However, I have never "saved" product for later use. The syringe is actually only filled to 0.8cc's, of which only 20% is actual microspheres. This is by design and is actually a good thing...it makes the product flow, and diffuse better, therefore with less chance of bumps or nodules that could last years.

So, go for it...but ask your doctor to use all of the syringe...I'm sure he won't have trouble finding a place to put it.

Reginald Rice, MD
Folsom Facial Plastic Surgeon