If Artefill is Permanent, Why Did Mine Disappear in One Month?

I had acne scars and they raised them with the Artefill. They said to come back in 30 days to get more. It took 3 weeks to get the results. My scars looked filled in almost all the way and then it all disappeared. Very frustrating. Thank You for your time.

Artefill - permanent

+1

The microspheres in Artefil is permanent, but it is mixed with a collagen gel carrier.  The collagen gel dissolves which is maybe why you notice the filler dissolving.  Your body should lay down new collagen around the microspheres.  I'd recommend you go back to your doctor and have a discussion.  You may need more product placed.  I'm sure he/she would be happy to answer your questions.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Artefill is permanent

+1

Artefill is permanent. However, it also has some collagen. As the collagen gets absorbed, your body forms its own collagen. This process can cause the result to change slightly. It is also possible that you were undertreated with ArteFill. But, the product itself will not go away. It’s basically a type of plastic.  Seek out another physician and make sure they have a lot of experience with ArteFill.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Artefill is permanent

+1

You either had a substitute given under false pretenses, not enough injected, or your injector did a very poor injection. Seek another opinion in your area.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Artefill needs a few injection sessions when treating acne scars

+1

The collagen that the artefill PMMA beads is mixed with is what gives the initial plumping effect and disappears within 1-3 months.  The beads left behind causes your own natural collagen to surround them from 3-12 months later.  Usually it takes 2-3 sessions of artefill injections 2-3 months apart to fill in the areas well.  The scars go threw an initial up then down then later up again plumping that then stays.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Artefill disappearing

+1

The materials contained in a syringe of ArteFill include PMMA which is the permanent substance, and bovine collagen.  The amounts are 20% PMMA and 80% bovine collagen.  What most likely happened is the collagen that was making up some of the volume that filled the acne scars has been absorbed.  That is why it seems like it went away.  You will likely require more to get your desired result.  Be patient,  ArteFill is more of an injectable IMPLANT than a filler, so slow and steady is better.  If overfill occurs with a product like this, it is very difficult to correct.  Hope this helps. 

Best regards...Dr D.

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon