Treatment For Lumps 3 Weeks Post Artefill? (photo)

I live in San Diego and 3 wks ago had Artefill injected in tear troughs, lips and laugh lines. I now have a lump under each eye at inj. sites and improperly placed fill under one eye, leaving a puffy eye bag. My lips are uneven and lumpy. I've been told to wait until 6 weeks and if the lumps do not go away, they can inject something in them – a steroid. Is there anyone in San Diego with experience re lump treatment/revision or removal of Artefill? Help please – I am much concerned.

Artefill is FDA approved for melolabial folds

+3

I love fillers and collagen stimulators but always educate my patients that each has its place and its purpose and we shouldn't deviate from those in most cases.   Artefill is a great product, but it is the longest lasting collagen stimulator on the market and is FDA approved only for the melolabial/nasolabial folds.  As physicians we can use products in non FDA approved sites.  This is called 'off label use'    Correct placement is essential to allow for the collagen stimulation to occur in the plane which will cause tightening and smoothing of that line.  In my opinion it is not a volumizer, should not be placed into thin, soft tissue and should not be placed as a puddle of product anywhere on the face.  This will correct over time, but realize that Artefill does not dissolve or melt away, as they  are methyl methacrylate microspheres.  Hopefully in the soft tissues around the eyes they will have a tendency to migrate deeper and dissipate but this may take time.   You and your doctor will need to work together to agree on a long term strategy for you.  

Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Artefill San Diego

+2

Hello and thanks for the question.

In review of your photos, I would give ample time for healing prior to considering further intervention.  Six weeks seems about right. Keep in mind that Artefill uses a collagen carrier - this will be absorbed over time ( weeks ) leaving you with the final result -  hence there is a progression as to how Artefill Treatments evolve.  Be patient and follow-up with your clinician regularly as scheduled to follow progress.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D. F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD