Artefill lasts how long?

it's considered a permanent filler, but some doctors say it lasts 4 to 5 years in the smile line areas. what gives with this? if the pmma microspheres can't be absorbed, broken down or migrate, what would become of them? ever?

Duration of Artefill

+1
Artefill contains polymethymethacrylate microspheres which become full incorporated into the injected area. These do not migrate and will stay indefinitely because they are not absorbable or degradable by your body. However, it is not clear what will be the duration of your own collagen that was built up in response to the microspheres. You are like to need additional volume replacement eventually but there is no hard rule about 4 or 5 years. In any case the aging process is associated with volume loss.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long will Artefill last?

+1
Artefill studies have been published showing it lasts 5 years.  I have seen patients now who have had it in place over 8 years and there is no indication of it going away but those patients are aging and they now need some more fill because they have lost more volume.

Best regards,

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Artefill longevity

+1

The Artefill PMMA microspheres that are injected are permanent and do not go away over time.  The reason that some doctors may say it lasts 4-5 years is that the face will continue to age, so the initial effect from Artefill will alter over time as the face ages.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon