Is Artefill a good product to use in your cheeks to produce volume? How is it different from Sculptra or Voluma?

Artefill or Bellafill for the Cheeks Rather than Voluma or Sculptra

Artefill, now called Bellafill, is a superb filler. It is gives a smooth, natural result that will last for years. The studies show that it will last for at least 5 years and I have seen patients back at 8 years and the areas that were initially injected were still doing well. These patients came back because other areas now needed treating.

The other fillers work well but only last up to 24 months.

You can get a great result from Bellafill when it is in the right hands but you should be aware of the risk. I have added a video that may help you.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Artefill for cheeks

Artefill is the only FDA-approved product in the US market that contains a permanent component and is the only product that may produce a very long-lasting effect. The polymethylmethacrylate microspheres contained within Artefill become incorporated into tissues and stimulate synthesis of your own collagen. Sculptra causes the same effect but the polylactic acid absorbs in about two years thus decreasing the stimulus for collagen synthesis. Voluma is a cross-linked, longer lasting hyalorunic acid that eventually becomes absorbed by your body.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Artefill versus Sculptra or Voluma.

Artefill can be used to produce more volume in the cheeks.  When Artefill is injected, there are tiny microspheres that will permanently stay in the treated area, and these microspheres stimulate tissue thickening.  Several treatment sessions are needed to gradually produce the desired volume.  Sculptra works in a similar manner to produce volume, however, the active ingredient in Sculptra does get metabolized over time.  Several treatment sessions are also needed to gradually produce the result, which can last 2-4 years.  Voluma is a hyaluronic acid gel that produces immediate results.  The effect from Voluma can last up to 2 years.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon