Can Artefill Fill the Empty Pocket Once Chin Implant is Removed?

I had a chin implant procedure done a couple of years ago, and recently had it replaced. After I had it replaced, I was still dissatisfied with the results. I have rounder features, and I feel the chin is too sharp.

I'd like to get it removed altogether, but am concerned that I will be left with a drooping chin. Can Artefill be used to fill the empty pocket once the chin implant is removed?

Use of filler after chin implant removal

+2

There is no reason to place anything else in the chin implant pocket. The pocket will completely close down upon itself and once the implant is removed the preoperative contour of the chin will be back to its normal state as if it were unaugmented. There is absolutely no reason to place Artefill in the chin area and it would probably be only temporary at best.

Chin implant

+2

Before you proceed with artifill which is not reversible. You should know exactly what look you want, you should not be puting ang removing chin implants. That means you had no communication with your Plastic surgeon.

Communicate with your Plastic Surgeon as to what annd how exactly you want your chin to look.

I would recomment against artifil because it is not reversible.

Fat transfer is a much better alternative.

Artefill is an excellent filler and works well around the chin

+2

I have used artefill on several occasions to fill in areas around the chin. It actually works quite well and I have some patients that I did three years ago who have still maintained their correction. Artefill which is made up of a material that was actually derived from a product that was used to fill in bone gaps in skull reconstruction so I think it works very well in the chin region. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant, Chin Augmentation, Chin Implant Removal, Radiesse, Artefil, Artecol

+1

Yes, once the Chin Implant is removed you can use any of the larger molecule fillers to plump up the chin.  Radiesse is my first choice, with Perlane as my second choice.  I like the idea of using Artecol/Artefil here but the possible risk of granuloma formation, for the rest of your life requiring an incision to remove it, would keep me from using it.

If you do experience chin ptosis (droopy chin) after the Chin Implant is removed, fillers of any kind are unlikely to resolve this issue.  This is treated by making an incision and tucking the ptotic, excess tissue under the chin.  The fillers can give volume but not provide rotation of the ptotic tissue like a chin implant.

Chin Augmentation

+1

I believe that Artefill use in chin will be off-label. Also, a very large amount will be needed to resemble anything like an implant in size or form. I personally would prefer to use a different form of chin implant. Several newer types and shape are avaliable. You may want to see those of implantech.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Artefill in the chin instead of an implant? Yes, but...

+1

While Artefill does have a role in chin augmentation and is a great option for some situations, it is not particularly reversible. Since you've twice had an unhappy outcome with a reversible implant, I'd be very cautious about considering an irreversible implant such as Artefill.

If exaggerated sharpness is the concern, implants can be reshaped to avoid that. Silastic implants are especially nice in this regard in that they are easily carved and contoured.

Hope this helps,

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Artefill fill the empty pocket once chin implant is removed

+1

It is possible but that would be very expensive. Most likely over 5 cc's at $1,000/ syringe = $5,000. Maybe you should consider alternative treatments/surgeries. Regards.

Use of fillers to correct defect left after chin implant removal.

+1

I would first try a hyaluronic based long lasting filler to see if you like the results. IF not it could be reversed with off label use of hyaluronidase. IF you like the appearance there are many options for filling including the use of autologous fat or off label Artefiil. The later should be performed gradually over several months.

Other options than chin implant removal

+1

If you feel the chin is too sharp, there are other options besides removing the implant altogether. The implant can be replaced by a different implant or it can be modified to correct your concerns.

There are significant concerns (granuloma formation) even when Artefill is used in the nasolabial folds as directed by its FDA indication. There is absolutely no data as to how it will behave when injected into a pocket. I think you would have a hard time finding a surgeon brave enough to do it. My guess is that you would be in a world of trouble. Always remember that permanent fillers can cause permanent side effects.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon