Does ArteFill Work for Cheek Augmentation?

I know ArteFill is a longer lasting wrinkle filler, but can it also be used to plump up your cheeks?

ArteFill, Silicone and Semi permanent Filler complications

+4

You may see from my several other posts how opposed I am to fillers of this nature.

I wil'll tell you about my experience with this filler and the unfortunate patients who suffered long term complications requiring surgery.

Artefill is not approved by the FDA for cheek implants, and should not be routinely advocated for that purpose.

Cheek augmentation requires a relatively large volume to achieve an effect. Depending on the position of the augmentation, it may be above the zygomatic (cheek) bone or the midfacial muscles of expression. The poly methyl methacrylate beads contained in Artefill get into tissues. They do not stay exactly where you place them.

Large volumes of synthetic substances injected into the face are particularly worrisome. The body cannot develop a blood supply in the injected material to defend itself against the bacteria that are in the region.

I have personally surgically removed many such deposits of many different semipermanent fillers, some available only in Europe (Aquamid for instance) and replaced them with LiveFill (fascial fat grafts). The surgical removal is difficult and fraught with problems because the material can migrate around deep nerves and cause chronic pain syndromes; surgery to remove the material will necessarily involve dissection around the nerves and is by its nature incomplete since the material infiltrates the tissues themselves. In the cheek the infraorbital nerve is particularly vulnerable.

If you develop an infection years later, or a chronic inflammatory reaction, you may have no way of removing the Artefill. Likewise if the Artifill beads migrate over time and the appearance changes or becomes deformed, there is no way to remove them completely.

If however you have a silastic cheek implant, these implants can typically be removed from inside the mouth easily and completely and replaced with a different implant or LiveFill (fascial fat grafts) if they should become visible or the patient does not like their shape. Many patients in our practice have LiveFill grafts placed in well defined pockets. These completely autologous (natural to the patient) grafts maintain their shape and volume over time as studied by 3-D CT scans and clinical photographs.

As with many treatments, the correct treatment is not necessarily the cheapest or most convenient.

Avoid ArteFill

+3

Trials of this product were done around a decade ago in the US. One of the doctors who was very experienced in using this was a good friend of mine so there are many patients in my area with this product in place. It is basically a microbead-like form of the same cement material used to anchor in a prosthetic hip or artificial knee joint.

If it becomes infected later, which it can, and if it forms draining granulomas, which it can, there is an extremely difficult problem to treat. This results in permanent scars and often pain and it is typically not possible to remove all of the material. Avoid all permanent fillers!!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Artefill, cheek augmentation, wrinkle filler

+2

Any filler that does not absorb has the long term potential for migration, lumping or granuloma formation.  Artefill has been approved for filling of the smile lines which does not require large amounts of filler. 

Smaller augmentations of the cheeks and chin can be safe if properly performed  with small amounts of filler.  These however have not been studied enough for FDA approval and therefor are considered off-label uses.

A personal consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon would be in your best interest.  Cheers

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

ArteFill is great for cheek augmentation

+1
Artefill is great for cheek augmentation. It can last 5 - 10 years or more so it can be a great value. Some patients wonder why anyone would get other fillers due to its longevity. It is a more expensive filler, and is considered semi permanent which is its down side (if not placed correctly), as well as its upside (fantastic longevity). It has a smooth, natural feeling, and is developing one of the best safety profiles in the injectable market. It can be injected very close to the surface for precision correction of small wrinkles as well as injected deep to push things up for fuller cheeks.

David J. Myers, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Artefill for Cheeks Augentation

+1
Artefill is perfect for cheek augmentation. It will last at least 5 years so it is a great value. I have patients who wonder why anyone would get any other filler. It is smooth, natural feeling and has one of the best safety profiles in the injectable market. In addition, it can be injected very close to the surface for precision correction of any problems or deep to push things up for fuller cheeks.

I think you will live it as a cheek augmentation filler.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Artefill For Cheek Augmentation

+1
The concept of permanence is very appealing in a filler, for obvious reasons.  You have a filler injected and the result lasts forever, right? Wrong.  Aging is multifactorial and dynamic.  Regardless of what a person has done aesthetically, the face will continue to change with age.  I have seen patients 5 years and longer after having PMMA (the key ingredient of Artefill) injected with swelling, lumps, and other issues.  My best advice is to be careful of permanent products, whihc may last in ways that you don't want them to.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Artefill for cheek augmentation

+1

Yes, we use Artefill quite often in our practice for adding volume to nasolabial folds, chin and cheekbones.  The real safety and results is tied to the doctor who is injecting the product.  This goes with any technique or service.  Artefill usually proves great success with our patients.

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Artefill is great for cheek augmentation.

+1

Yes, Artefill is an appropriate filler to use for cheek augmentation.  I have found that almost all of the dermafillers may be used for this application when placed correctly.  In my practice, we most frequently use Radiesse for the cheeks, Perlane for around the eyes, and Juvederm for the nose, lips, and cheeks.

Artefill will perform well for cheek augmentation because in this location it may be placed deep enough under the skin to give a pleasing aesthetic change and not be at risk for palpation or skin injury.

I would recommend having a very skilled and experienced injector perform any Artefill treatments, since it is not reversible.

Good luck in your search!

I am very pleased on the results I have achieved with my patients using dermafillers for the cheek area, for example click the link below.

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely! When done correctly.

+1

Done correctly, you can attain natural-looking, long-lasting cheek augmentation with Artefill.

Anifat Balogun, MD