Besides Arnica Montana, What Other Pills Can I Take to Reduce Swelling After Rhinoplasty?

Tips on reducing swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

There are several things I have my patients do in order to decrease swelling after rhinoplasty. I have them take both Arnica montana and Bromelain, two herbal supplements that help reduce swelling and bruising. I have them start one week before surgery and have them continue for at least one week afterwards. It is also very important to avoid any exertion or bending with the head below your waist and to keep as relaxed as possible for the first two weeks after surgery. When sleeping, you should try to stay on your back with your head up at a 45 degree angle. An easy way to do this is to sleep on a lounge recliner chair. Otherwise, sleep with 3 or 4 pillows behind your head and one on each side to help keep you from rolling completely over. I also encourage my patients to try and stay on a very low salt (sodium) diet, less than 1500mg per day, as salt causes fluid retention which will make the swelling worse.

Despite these techniques, swelling tends to be different for every patient. Thicker skin, older age, previous nose surgeriers, more tip work, open approach can all prolong swelling. However, all swelling will resolve with time. Occasionally steroid injections may be used for abnormal swelling but that decision is made on an individual basis.

Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

Oral steroids help for up to 1 week

+1

In addition to the Arnica you can take Bromelain and your surgeon can prescribe a short 5 to 7 day course of oral steroid medicine, such as medrol or prednisone. Be sure to discuss side effects such as dyspepsia (heartburn) and restlessness which can be dose related. I recommend tapering off of the steroid at the end as well.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Medrol dose pack after Rhinoplasty can reduce swelling

+1

I often prescribe a medrol dose pack to reduce swelling after a Rhinoplasty but you would need to ask your Rhinoplasty surgeon for more specific recommendations if you've already had the operation.  Arnica 12-C helps, IMHO, more with bruising than swelling after Rhinoplasty or other surgeries.

Pills to Reduce Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

Arnica Montana 30C and bromelain  taken peri-surgically will help decrease bruising and swelling after your  rhinoplasty.  In addition, i give my patients a short coarse of prednisone after the operation.

Arnica swelling

+1

Arnica and bromelain are the supplements most often recommended to help with bruising and swelling. auriderm gel is also helpful. some people are helped very much with these, others see no difference. As the expression goes "they couldn't hurt"

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reduce Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

One of the most common questions involves swelling after cosmetic surgery, such as rhinoplasty. Other medication or pills that may help reduce swelling is prednisone. You can read my blog post on the topic for other methods that may help reduce facial or nasal swelling. Speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon regarding any questions you have. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reducing swelling

+1

Each situation is unique and only your rhinoplasty surgeon knows the specific details of your planned procedure and should be the person commenting on peri-operative questions such as this

Typically these will help with swelling:

1. Avoid salty foods
  2. Limit activity
  3. Keep head elevated

Sam Naficy, MD

Post Surgical Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

Some doctors will prescribe short term course of Steroids after surgery to reduce swelling.  However, time and patience are the keys. Swelling is normal part of body healing. Don't fight it.   Let body do its work naturally. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Arnica and swelling

+1

Arnica is thought to improve bruising but I have not seen any studies that have convinced me to recommend it routinely to my patients.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1
Decadron or other oral steroids can also help for a few days. After several weeks post op it is mostly time that will make the difference.

Richard Dale Reynolds, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon