Are Arnica Montana and Bromelain Recommended Before Mommy Makeover?

I am getting a Mommy Makeover which includes tummy tuck, liposuction and breast reduction. Is it best to take the supplements post surgery or both pre op and post op? What dosage amounts and strengths are recommended?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

A Montana and Bromelin , do they really make a difference?

+2

The use of these products varies widely.  Some doctors recommend them strongly in others do not.

I personally do not feel strongly one way or the other.  While I do not generally recommend them in my practice if the patient feels comfortable taking them I have no objection to it. I do not offer them in the office because I don't want my patient to think that I'm trying to sell them something.  I think it is difficult enough to make a decision for surgery without an additional sales pitch.

With or without arnica or bromelin there will always be some bruising associated with any surgery.  I think your best bet would be to try and find a surgeon who is neat and meticulous.

The prescribing information will be provided with the medication and if your PS  Is one that recommends these products he or she will be able to guide you.

Good luck with your surgery and with your recovery.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Arnica Montana and Bromelain not recommended for Mommy Makeover

+3

Thank you for your question.  While you will be able to find some surgeons and individuals who sing their praises, I am not a strong proponent of arnica and bromelian.  There are not good studies that actually show significant differences for the procedures you are having.  If your surgeon wants you to use them, please call his or her office for specific instructions. I hope this helps.

Can you dimnish bruising and swelling with supplements?

+3

I hope you enjoy the results of your mommy makeover!  But I cannot say I'm a fan of bromelain and arnica.  I've used the samples from companies providing it and did not appreciate any benefit at all.  Some patients will bruise more than others, especially if there is any post-op bleeding.  If you're a believer in supplements, by all means go for it.  But if you're wondering if it will help, I do not advise it for my patients.  Again, enjoy your new look following your surgery! 

Arnica and Bromelain with Mommy Makeover

+3

Hi there-

While there have been several studies indicating a benefit to cosmetic surgery patients taking arnica and bromelain (in appropriate doses) in terms of diminished swelling and bruising, the benefits do not seem to be universal or clear.

In other words, some patients clearly feel they had a better recovery than they would have without them, but others may not feel so strongly about it one way or the other.

I cannot say that in my experience they have ever caused harm or actually worsened the recovery.

The bottom line, however, is that as with so many other things, your outcome, safety, and the quality of your recovery experience is going to be MOST determined by the surgeon you choose. Gentle technique by skilled and experienced hands is what really leads to less bruising and swelling.

Web reference: http://www.MommyMakeoverOrlando.com

Arnica & Bromelain

+3

Dear Knikki,
I do recommend arnica & bromelain for facial surgery (facelift, bleph, rhinoplasty), but not for body surgery.  Typically you will not see much bruising with breast or abdominal surgery, and I don't think there is much benefit to taking the supplements to justify the possible risks.
Dr.B

Web reference: http://www.thedallasmommymakeover.com/mommy-makeover/abdominoplasty-reduction.cfm

Supplements with a mommy makeover

+3

Thank you for your question. I am not a big fan of arnica montana or bromelain around the time of surgery. You may find reports on line about patients claiming to have less bruising or faster healing by taking these, however, I have had patients take these and have more bruising and  slower healing that what I normally see. I would talk with your surgeon (board certified of course) before taking these around the time of your surgery. Remember, there are no miracle cures. I am aware of no good studies that prove the effectiveness of these products. Good luck with your surgery.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Arnica for cosmetic surgery

+2

I do give my patients Arnica before cosmetic surgery.  It is great for reducing swelling and bruising.  Over the counter doses should be just fine for you.

Web reference: http://marylandcosmeticsurgeryinc.com/breast-3/breast-augmentation/

Arnica Montana and Bromelain for Surgery

+2

Both are homeopathic products that claim to reduce swelling and bruising and are available in many plastic surgeons offices. My patients seem pleased with the benefit they provide therefore I have them available in my office. There are different brands available each with their own directions. Usually it is recommended to start taking them 3 days prior to surgery and then until the swelling subsides (7 to 14 days). The products found in health food stores are of a milder strength than what is recommended for surgery patients. Follow your surgeon's advice.

Web reference: http://dermshop.dermstore.com/list.php?select=dd&attributes=501111

Arnica and bromelain for surgery

+2

arnica and bromelain for surgery:

• there are no great studies that prove efficacy
  • that being said , i prescribe these from Vita Medica
  • many patients believe in these supplements and feel better taking something
  • i thinks all of the supplements together for two weeks before and after may help healing but studies are difficult to interpret

Arnica and bromelain before surgery

+2

The doses are standard for both, they are on the bottle, and we start 3 days before the surgery and continue for 10 days after the surgery