Army physical fitness test after breast lift with implants?

I am in the military and am schedule for a breast lift with implants in mid Nov. I am in decent shape and exercise 4 to 6 times a week. I am scheduled to attend school end of January. This school requires me to take a three event fitness test that consist of push-ups, sit-ups and a 2 mile run. Will 11 weeks be enough recovery time for me to be able to perfom this test?

Army Physical fittness

+1

You are pushing it kind of close. If their is a certain benchmark for you to reach I would be hesitant to go through with the surgery. You maybe able to complete the task but your score will be low and you may not be able to complete all tasks.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Army Physical Fitness Test After Breast Implants #breastimplants

+1

This is such a loaded question because 10 surgeons will give you 10 answers. So, pretending you were my patient here is what I would have you do. No heavy lifting more than 20 pounds for 6 weeks. No strenuous exercise for 4-6 weeks depending on your recovery. I would not want you doing pushups or any pectoralis work for at least 3 MONTHS! That is if your implants are placed below the muscle which they should be if you are having a lift. There are real good reasons for these limitations. The bottom line is that pectoralis work can really cause malposition of the implant early on while the capsule is forming and it takes a good 3 months for the capsule to form. This is how I educate my patients. Go find out from your surgeon before you do this so you can make a well educated informed decision on the timing of your surgery. Many women I Crossfit with that have implants say it took months for them to feel comfortable doing any kind of pectoralis work with implants after augmentation.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Recovery after lift augmentation

+1

Good luck with your career... but if you were a patient in my practice, I would anticipate you being able to do what you want 11 weeks post-op. If your implants were under the muscle, I would prefer that you not work at strengthening your chest muscles as I have seen such activities displace the implant downwards and outwards.

Curtis Wong, MD